Old 05 September 2007, 14:37   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
HOw much play should I Have ?

I simple question - how much play ( if any) shoud I have on my throttle lever ? Standard teleflex to a 50 hp Yam . To back off there is 1/2 inch movement before it actually does anything to reduce the throttle . Its definately in the control box & not the engine end as all is fine there & is easier to check by simply taking the cover of . Control box wil lneed more work to look at the insides !

Like wise a very small amount of play in the wheel - like having a loose hweel bearing on the car - is this all normal stuff ?
Old 05 September 2007, 15:48   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I have about 2 inches before anything starts to happen on mine! I took the control box to bits because it is v v stiff as well, took one look at all the gubbins inside waiting to go sproingggggg all over the deck and put it back together again very carefully

Likewise quite a lot of play in my steering (probably about an inch, maybe inch and a half of slack at the rim of the wheel, before the engine starts to move), it would drive you mad in a car (and probably be unsafe) but it seems "normal" in the cable steering, nothing I can find that is wrong...

Now all I need is somebody to say "aaaaagh that is dangerous stop using it immediately" - both used to worry me but I have got used to it and after about 100hrs of use there seems to be no change and no problem.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2007, 15:56   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
On this good advice I shall continue to throw the boat around with out a care until somehting dramamtic happens then get towed in to harbour for it all to be fixed under warranty ! ( Maybe with a suggestion to look at it at the next service in a few weeks ! )