Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 31 July 2020, 14:33   #1

Town: Fareham
Make: Avon Adventure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 90
How much better are 4 strokes fuel consumption

Hi, we may get another RIB in the future, our old RIB had a Merc 90 and our current boat has a Yam 70, both 2 stroke.
I like the reliability and how simple they are to look after but if we buy a newer RIB it’s probably going to have a 4 stroke on it.

So my question is in the real world do the 4 strokes actually use far less fuel when comparing like for like power wise?.

Our next RIB will be around 5.5-6M ish.
Old 31 July 2020, 15:46   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin33100 View Post
Hi, we may get another RIB in the future, our old RIB had a Merc 90 and our current boat has a Yam 70, both 2 stroke.

I like the reliability and how simple they are to look after but if we buy a newer RIB it’s probably going to have a 4 stroke on it.

So my question is in the real world do the 4 strokes actually use far less fuel when comparing like for like power wise?.

Our next RIB will be around 5.5-6M ish.

If you’re comparing a modern efi 4 stroke to a similar HP vintage carbed 2 stroke, then it’s night & day. The 2 stroke will use at least twice the fuel of the 4t probably even more. However, if you’re comparing the 4t to a modern DI 2 stroke, then in the real world, there’d be little if anything in it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 16:38   #3

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Yeah that's my experience too, we have a 40 4stroke and 40 2 stroke and the 2stroke is at least twice as thirsty. It is however a lot more reliable and cheaper to maintain so it depends if you use it enough to justify the fuel savings over the yearly maintenance costs
Old 31 July 2020, 18:33   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I know this experience is on the small side hp wise but...

I went from a 15hp 2-stroke to a 20hp efi 4-stroke a few years ago (and back again but that's another story) and managed about 50% extra distance at slightly greater speeds. For me the greatest benefit was the greater range for a given tank size.
Old 31 July 2020, 20:46   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
The only offering I have is on our long trips with gurnard he had a 25 two stroke on a 420 sib I had a 25 four stroke on a 3.65 sib I was 15% better off but if you equal the boats and weight I think more the 10% worse for the two stroke.
Old 01 August 2020, 05:09   #6

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Evinrude etec direct fuel injection two strokes are at least as good if not better than a four stroke. Caloundra Marine videos on YouTube usually include the fuel consumption in their comparison reviews. If buying a new outboard, would be on my shortlist.
https://youtu.be/tZvIw83uZgY
Old 01 August 2020, 07:51   #7

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Evinrude etec direct fuel injection two strokes are at least as good if not better than a four stroke. Caloundra Marine videos on YouTube usually include the fuel consumption in their comparison reviews. If buying a new outboard, would be on my shortlist.

I thought Evinrude stopped making outboards [emoji848]
Old 01 August 2020, 07:59   #8

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
Yeah as of a few weeks ago they have so I wouldn't recommend buying one unless you're willing to roll the dice
Old 01 August 2020, 10:33   #9

Thanks the reply’s guys, if we use the RIB like our last one we may do a lot of towing ie water sports so I guess a DI 2 stroke may give us the best of economy and power?.
However if the right RIB comes up for sale with a 4 stroke on it I am not that bothered about the servicing costs as my labour is free.
I am one of the maintenance techs at Southampton Container terminals and I did my apprenticeship building Diesel engines so I don’t mind having a go at most things.
Old 01 August 2020, 10:55   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Thanks the reply’s guys, if we use the RIB like our last one we may do a lot of towing ie water sports so I guess a DI 2 stroke may give us the best of economy and power?.

However if the right RIB comes up for sale with a 4 stroke on it I am not that bothered about the servicing costs as my labour is free.

I am one of the maintenance techs at Southampton Container terminals and I did my apprenticeship building Diesel engines so I don’t mind having a go at most things.

Having owned boats with both DI 2 strokes & 4 strokes, my experience is that there’s much more “grunt” with the 2 strokes & neglible difference in fuel economy. The 4 stroke cost of ownership is much higher, due to the (imo) excessive servicing requirements.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2020, 17:06   #11

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've owned many 2strokes over the years.....but things move on and I do prefer 4strokes overall ...I find them much more economical... I like the quiet running....no oil to worry about...and if you've ever followed 2strokes at Sea for a period just hope you've enough Gee Gees to overtake..( especially a twin set up)
The Trick with any engine choice for a RIB ...is to match the engine Size (Power) to the Hull AND loading expected Then prop it properly!... to get the performance your after
As for 2strokes v Four I can only speak from my experience

I've trialed/raced 250 HO g2 Tws strokes (on a LIGHTER Newer RIB!) ...against my own set up 6.8 RC with 250 Df in hole shot tests over a few hundred yards...
Result NOTHING in it!!!...not even 1/2 a Boat length.
Now that's a real world test!
"Hole shot" for me is paramount....but topping out at 48knots in a Heavy layup Ribcraft 6.8 isn't too shabby...I could possibly improve on top end....but Grunt and Holeshot punch may suffer.
Try some different combinations...but ultimately get the engine Size/choice/set up/prop/..RIGHT and you'll get the best out of you're chosen package regardless

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2020, 12:21   #12

Thanks for the advice guys, our old RIB was an Avon Adventure D560 and it went well with a Merc 90 2 stroke.
Ideally our next boat will be similar size or up to 6M, however prices are very very high at the moment.
Old 02 August 2020, 12:50   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I had an Avon 5.4m Searider with a carb 2 stroke Mariner 90.
Changed to a 6.5m Scorpion with 150hp Optimax - a boat probably 75% heavier and the fuel consumption was about the same at a litre a mile.
(better than a litre a mile at below 25knots).
Very happy with my Optimax.

I considered all engines when our Opti got to 900hrs and 15 years old.
Sea trialled a 150hp Selva 4 stroke which felt very weak in comparison with the Opti.
Liked the look of an E-tec.
However, bought another Opti when a good deal came up on a low hours one.

If money were no object I'd probably consider one of the new mercury 4 strokes 150hp or the V6 175hp simply because we do more low speed coaching now and the Opti is a bit loud!

Now that E-Tecs arent being made I'd probably avoid those.
Tohatsu TLDI is the same tech as Optimax and worth a look if the price is right.