Old 09 June 2008, 12:13   #1

Town: Colchester
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Outboard
How many engine hours?

Hello,

Now, here's a how long is a piece of string type question! But I thought I'd ask anyway!

Unfortunately, I am not in the market for a new boat yet, so am looking at the secondhand market. One the questions I always ask sellers is how many hours on the engine? Great, but how useful is the answer?!

So, I'm trying to get some ballpark data on which to base assessment, hence the piece of string type question - what is the average engine hours per year? I realise this is fairly subjective, due to the various different usages of boats, but right now, I've nothing to base an assessment on.

So, can anyone help with a guesstimate as to how many hours might equate to Low, Medium, High usage?

Any input welcome!

Thanks
D2K
Old 09 June 2008, 12:26   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Welcome to RibNet

Depends how old the engine is you're looking at as to whether reliable data is available-but I'd prefer the results of a compression test and a really good inspection of the engine to the reading from an hour meter.I think an hour meter doesn't tell you very much unless you're looking at a nearly new boat.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2008, 12:49   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Dilbert,
Agian, welcome to Ribnet!

I'll second Nos' comments. I am now on my second secondhand rib. (and before you get worried the only reason I sold the first one was to get a bigger one! ) On my current engine, I have spent approx. £5 on a new set of spark plugs on an engine of unknown but I know it's going to be high (it's a '79 vintage ands has spent time as a commercial boat followed by time as a sailing club rescue boat) number of hours.

What has cost the money was 2 new anodes, and an almost entirely new tilt lock mechanism. Both suffering extreme corrosion, I suspect because it spent a long time on a mooring and nobody noticed the anodes had all but dissappeared. Various other bits of plastic bushing have / need to be replaced just due to age & wear. The bushing would probably still be like it left the factory had it been hanging on the back of a leisure craft.

My point is that on an outboard it's quite often the "extra" bits that are the problem. A bit like buying a secondhand car because of it's low mileage engine, but half the electic whistles & bells don't work kind of thing.

Hopefully you'll find what you're after. If it's any help there's a couple of places vaguely near you (Upminster & Rayleigh) that have a pile of old dead engines that have kept my "classic" 1971 vintage Evenrude going.
Old 09 June 2008, 20:11   #4

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
My outboard mechanic reckons that on average most people do no more than 30 hours per year.
Old 09 June 2008, 21:50   #5

Town: barrington nh
Make: HBI
Engine: evinrude 115 hp
I should of done a compression test (only paid $5000 us for the rib so can not bitch). My evinrude had 260 hrs on the hr meter and 60 hrs later it is toast. The engine had alot more wear than the hrs on the meter. But now we just need to convince "the little woman" that her boat needs a 4 stroke .
Old 10 June 2008, 18:35   #6

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
Hi

I did 83 hours last year and the girl at the yam dealer commented on how many i had done saying that the get some in that have only done 5 hours a year

i did 7 on sunday !!

a mate of mine has a zodiac pro 9 with a yam 60 has had it 3 years and it has 260 hours on the clock but by his own admission stated that he left the keys in over 3 days so that added 70 plus hours

Andy
Old 10 June 2008, 20:34   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
18 month old 50 HP Yam - 80 hours , & nearly 4 year old opti- 250 hours

More hours on the Yam as I crawl down the river looking at stuff ! Just got the Opti
Old 11 June 2008, 13:05   #8

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
250hp Suzi bought new with boat at end of Jan 2007. Have now done around 220 hours on the hour meter at a good assortment of revs. That involves at least one outing nearly every weekend during that time.
Old 19 June 2008, 13:42   #9

Town: Largs
Boat name: Pinto
Make: Zodiac 4.7 Pro 9
Engine: Evenrude 40 e-TEC
MMSI: 235055258
Hi, I'm also guessing at engine hours. Our evinrude 40hp etec is now 2 years old. its mostly just for fun but we are now doinging longer runs. Without a visible hour meter I have no idea when the 300 hr service is due.

Does idling out of gear count, as we often do this while picknicking or watching the porpoises?
I've seen comments that the Xd 100 oil is a 100:1 petrol:oil mix and therfore knowing mpg could leed to an estimate of hours because although I do not know the total petrol used to date, I do peversely know the almost exact amount of oil used. While this would only be a vague estimate, it would be better than the one ( ie none) that I've got now.

Any inputs/guesses welcomed.

thanks
Old 19 June 2008, 16:30   #10

Boat name: "can"
Make: Joker Boat
Engine: 40hp e-tec
Pinto, i am not sure but i think they may see your engine hours when they plug it to the computer at an official service.
Old 19 June 2008, 17:45   #11

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
We had our engine serviced approx 4 june the hour meter on the consul said
210 the lap top read out says 140 which is the right amount
so i would second what others have said get it looked at by a proffesional
its nice to know what type of owner its had as some of us are a bit over the top (Me) with flushing cleaning etc..