Old 03 September 2001, 01:01   #1

Town: Port Townsend
Make: Shopping Again. . . .
Length: 4 to 4.5 m.
Engine: 50 ish 4 stroke
Honda or Yamaha 50???

Greetings to everyone from a first time poster and a new member. I am in the fairly rib-less USA and am just about to buy my third small rib. The last was an AB AL3.50 and Now I'm looking seriously at a Caribe delux 13, a farily deep vee hull, 13'4" long, 6' beam, console. Weighs 420 lbs.

I'm trying to decide which motor to buy. I want a four stroke and am pretty much looking at either the Yamaha F50, or the F40 or a Honda 50. The Yamaha is heavy, weighing 230 lbs while the Honda is about 200, and this seems like a big plus for the Honda. The Honda will also cost me somewhat less than the Yamaha. What I'm looking for is anyone with experience with both engines. I care as much about smoothness and noise level as I do about absolute speed. Another high priority is corrosion resistence.

The dealer of the boat states that it is an excellent performer with 40 HP but the manufacturer says go "at least 50, 60 is even better"

Any advise or personal experience with these engines or boats will be greatly appreciated.

This is a great net/forum.

Thanks
Old 03 September 2001, 07:23   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Yamaha and Honda both make very good four stroke engines. Given what you say about the relative weights and the prices then I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Honda.

Having said that, it is a small RIB that you re fitting this to (4 metres to us European types) and I reckon a 40hp engine would be fine. I'm surprised that your dealer reckons a 60 would be OK. What are Caribe's engine recommendations?

John
Old 03 September 2001, 07:32   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Have a look at http://www.internet.ve/caribe/tablee.htm

The 13ft Caribe RIBs are rated to a maximum of 40hp. I wouldn't recommend that you go above that, and I'm surprised you dealer disagrees!

John
Old 03 September 2001, 21:27   #4

Town: Port Townsend
Make: Shopping Again. . . .
Length: 4 to 4.5 m.
Engine: 50 ish 4 stroke
caribe delux 13

The delux 13 is apparently a different model than previous 13's and isn't listed yet in the caribe spec sheet. A couple of dealers have told me that it is the first of a new series of hull design which handle chop better than previous models. The Dlx 13 is rated for a 50hp max.
Thanks for the reply.

Nick