Old 13 March 2017, 22:01   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Honda BF75 oil leak - gasket blown?

Hi all,

Looking for advice on Honda BF75. I'm about to buy one used, but the owner reports an issue, he says "possible blown head gasket".

He was cruising at some 1800rpm and someone passing by told him the engine looks like loosing oil. He moored the boat immediately and did not moved it since then. When I wanted to check the oils there was none on the dipstick at all. The owner says the water pump works perfectly, so little chance of overheating.

Could anyone tell me what could be the possible issue and if this is something very serious (if the reported story is true). Thanks in advance.
Old 14 March 2017, 07:10   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'd be very cautious about parting with cash for this engine until you do a little more research. If the gasket has blown, then there's an underlying reason. Has the cylinder head been eaten away with corrosion allowing water to enter the piston bore? Warn piston rings allowing 'blow-by'.

Assuming the head is damaged (you really want to see this off before buying), you'll need a replacement head, a new gasket and cylinder head bolts. These are normally tightened in sequence from the middle out. You'll need torque settings. They have to be new bolts, as they're designed to stretch and are use once. Pull the thermostat (need a new gasket too) and have a look. Chances are there will be salt build up. Lightly brush the thermostat with a copper wire brush, lightly lube with a decent marine grease and refit.

Drop whatever oil is in the sump and refill with fresh. Because the engine is new to you and you've no idea of the last change, then replace the impeller too and gear oil. Any scoring on the plate, then refit water pump kit (including gaskets).

Finally you'll want to check the compression on all cylinders. Kit to test is fairly inexpensive. Remove HT leads to spark plugs and test each cylinder.

I'd also want to test the engine under load for leaks (water and oil).

Might seem like overkill, but engines have a way of letting you down when you least expect it. Good luck
Old 14 March 2017, 07:22   #3

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
pretty much the engine is as good as scrap until proven otherwise this sounds like it could be a costly exercise
Old 14 March 2017, 08:03   #4

Boat name: TT Magic Star
Make: Excel 365 Vanguard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Hi Spartacus, thanks for your extensive reply, will follow your steps.
Whoever, just a question: could it be just a bottom oil pan seal that blown? The engine lost all the oil and there none left on the dipstik.
Old 14 March 2017, 09:22   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
You won't know untill you strip it what the damage is,it only takes seconds with no oil pressure to destroy a bearing on the crank
Reason for the lost oil could be a corroded oil way t the powerhead base alowing oil to pass
Engine is worth spares value untill full damage is assessed by a full strip down
Even refilling with oil and hearing it run is no guarantee there is no damage to crank bearings
Old 29 March 2017, 20:24   #6

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
A friend of mine has got a lovely 2010 Honda 75hp for sale on behalf of a customer in Poole. If you are looking for an alternative engine.
Old 04 April 2017, 10:06   #7

Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Thanks ring20johnson,

I have already bough the Honda, at £600.00 take the lottery