Old 22 April 2022, 10:04   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Honda bf 100

Anyone who has one able to post some performance figures. Looking at replacing the 90 on my 14ft centre console and have a good deal option with Honda.
Old 22 April 2022, 20:49   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Anyone who has one able to post some performance figures. Looking at replacing the 90 on my 14ft centre console and have a good deal option with Honda.
I have one ! imo ,fantastic motor all round ,what do you want to know ?,very frugle on fuel ,vtec and boost features do what you want ,nmea lead is all you need with garmin plotters and dirt cheap by comparison to others ,and no worries with parts system is 24 hour ,personally i dont think you will better ,and if like some critics you dont like the silver colour then you can buy exactly the same in black with Tohatsu on the side
in a slight negative it is a little harsh on the ear ,my yam 115 does sound sweeter !
Old 23 April 2022, 09:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
I have one ! imo ,fantastic motor all round ,what do you want to know ?,very frugle on fuel ,vtec and boost features do what you want ,nmea lead is all you need with garmin plotters and dirt cheap by comparison to others ,and no worries with parts system is 24 hour ,personally i dont think you will better ,and if like some critics you dont like the silver colour then you can buy exactly the same in black with Tohatsu on the side
in a slight negative it is a little harsh on the ear ,my yam 115 does sound sweeter !

Its the frugle on fuel part Im struggling on with my 90 Honda, in fact its shocking from 4200rpm up.

I do trips where I head to remote island locations offshore and from there fish further offshore each day. This means carrying enough fuel for the 90k each way run and then have enough fuel for around 10 days of running from that location. From that location I may travel another 50k further offshore and approx 300km from the nearest fuel station. Ive done these trips using Yamahas and Suzuki's in the 90-140hp range and managed far better economy than my current Honda.

My hope would be that going another 10hp on the 100 honda that I might be able to go up to a 19 pitch which would bring my midrange rpm down to 4000rpm cruise where economy is far better and still reach 5900 max. As you can see from this chart bellow the 90 is worse than the bigger engines at those midrange rpm's.

If it was for the local trips I mostly use my boat for I would happily continue with the 90 honda but for those longer trips dropping 1/3 in fuel range is not so easy to live with. Its not just carrying 10-15 20lt jerry cans as well as the 100lt underfloor tank but I also have to carry water for these trips (all dropped onto various islands).

Ive owned three Suzuki's and even though they are extremely good on fuel. Ive owned far more Yamah's which Ive always liked and never had any dramas with. A yam f90 with larger displacement ticks the boxes for mid range rpm but the price has put them out of range. Im able to get a honda $6000 cheaper if I get one with a commercial warranty rather than the recreational warranty. Im able to do this because I have my commercial licence and skipper various small work boats. One of the 6m work boats has the latest 225 honda which only uses a small amount more fuel than my 90 in a day of work covering about 150km of coast.

In the past Ive most done these trips with a 550 zodiac but Ive added a little centre console boat to the collection, its not your average 14ft boat though, these are built to commercial survey so built to handle more abuse than my zodiac.

To upgrade to a new honda 100 from my 2007 90 model is just $3000 extra (1500 quid).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4116.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	140313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 6.33.58 pm.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	140314  
Old 23 April 2022, 10:23   #4

OK read your post and realise you have a lot of facts you know ,rather than my more generalisation what i thought i know !! which is basically hav,nt really studied it in depth and seems to serve my leisure activities fairly well , however mine is 2014 100 with the vtec ,which looking at photo looks like your 2007 has vtec ,this would be a major improvement if you havnt ,so how can i help ?
i am having a few wee cruises next week so this may give me chance to checkout in the 4000 rev area direct from the nmea engine data which i will try and note for you
my boat is r/c 5.3 metre approx 750 kg plus me and a mate ,running 21 " pitch prop
Old 23 April 2022, 21:29   #5

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I’ve got twins on mine but no figures as yet except they go better than the old 90 s
Old 24 April 2022, 22:53   #6

Thanks guys.
Old 06 May 2022, 20:23   #7

As said i would have a closer look and just done 210 miles over 4 days on easdale
rendezvous 210 miles 160 litres fuel used , never studied hard but seemed to show 80 litres per hour @ 4k revs ................5.3m rib 2014 honda 100hp with 2 on board.
Old 06 May 2022, 21:57   #8

Quote:
As said i would have a closer look and just done 210 miles over 4 days on easdale
rendezvous 210 miles 160 litres fuel used , never studied hard but seemed to show 80 litres per hour @ 4k revs ................5.3m rib 2014 honda 100hp with 2 on board.
sorry 18 l/hour not 80
Old 10 May 2022, 13:08   #9

Quote:
sorry 18 l/hour not 80
Thanks for that, its more the 4500-5000rpm I would be interested in as that's when they seem to guzzle a bit. In saying that both my suzuki 90 and 140 on the last couple of boats I had were better than 18lt at 4000rpm.