Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 16 June 2015, 18:33   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Honda 90 or Suzuki 115? None RIB

Question for a friend(well my boss) looking to upgrade his boat (cuddy fisher) to a larger one 19/20' one has Honda 90the other a Suzuki 115 the honda engined boat is more plush the suzuki more workhorse

Much to choose between the engines? Both are 4/5 years old low hours (honda particularly is on 30 hours...

I know there is a lot in the boat but anything much to choose between the motors?
Old 17 June 2015, 00:05   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Ive owned a 90 honda and currently own a Suzuki 90 on one of my boats. Over here in Aus I would have to say that you see way more Suzuki engines than Honda.

My Suzuki has never failed but I wouldn't expect anything else from a newish engine Ive only done 200 hrs on. Plenty of very good dealers around for servicing etc. The dark colour does make keeping it looking clean a pain, even water streaks from tap water seem to show quite strongly (not that thats problem).

My honda did however give me problems to the extent I sold the boat and engine as my faith in it had gone. A good local Honda dealer was also an issue as were the expensive parts. Not sure if it was fuel or condensation or what but the bills kept coming in trying to fix the it, which could of also been down to a poor mechanic as all the issues started after a service.

In my opinion a 20ft boat would need at least a 115hp if not more.

I also own a rib with a Yamaha 4 stroke which are my preferred outboard, my choice not on your list would be the latest Yamaha 130 4 stroke.

Jon
Old 17 June 2015, 17:50   #3

Thanks JonP I will pass it on. Honda are more common than suzuki here (at the moment at least) He recently bought a new motor for his current boat (to replace a yamaha IIRC might have been a Yam he bought i cant remember but it was bought on the basis of a 5 year warranty end of last season)
Old 18 June 2015, 01:06   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Im pretty certain they all makes come with 5 yrs warranty here but recently noticed some Yamaha dealers adding their own 2 yrs on top of that (7yrs)
Jon
Old 18 June 2015, 18:28   #5

OK the current boat is a 60hp mercury new last season the original motor was amecury that had a cylinder/piston issue and the dealer (guessing mercury convinced him to buy a new motor rather than rebuild the one he had). He is going to look at the one boat on saturday but thinks its going to be too small.

I think this is one he has looked at Warrior - 175 export Motor Boats for sale in South Wales, Wales | Boats and Outboards
Old 18 June 2015, 19:01   #6

Town: Guildford
Boat name: Spare Rib
MMSI: 235091847
I have a Suzuki 115 DF very good work horse.

Tags
rib