Old 07 August 2008, 11:19   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
help with mercury 15hp

I have a 2000 merc 15hp and need to get at my carb. The problem Im haveing is that I do not know how to take apart the primer assembly. This motor has the round dial in the front of the motor that has on it written " pull to prime" You turn it clockwise to bring the idle up or low. The whole assembly is made out of plastic. I Have it unbolted but do not know how to seperate it from the round dial that is comeing through the front cowling. I dont want to put too much pressure and break anything if I am doing it wrong. I am sorry I have no pics now. I know its hard expaining these things. I have loosened the set screw that allows the dial to be pulled out further than it is set for but still does not look like it wants to seperate off the assembly allowing me to remove everything.
Thanks everyone for any help they can give me
Old 07 August 2008, 19:57   #2

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
If you look you will see a small cross head screw going into the side of the primer lever, you need to undo it, not all the way as this holds the primer handle in place. Then look at the carb the when you pull the primer it operates a arm that moves down onto the carb and pushes a little blue knob down, this is the primer its self.....

So... get your hands in and push that lever down onto the carb and give a sharp pull on the knob its self and it should come out. Not forgetting you need to remove the retaining clip from the back of the knob itself first.

If all that makes sense????!!!!!
Old 08 August 2008, 11:56   #3

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
thanks

thanks a lot, I have found a detailed parts diagram and have it apart now. Its just like you explained. The large retainer clip was eaqsy, it was the small nut on the bottom of the large left arm that gave me troubl. Once this was off everything just came apart easy, thanks again