Old 23 June 2008, 14:22   #1

Town: Ringwood
Boat name: Taylor
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 55hp Outboard
Help Please - Gearbox!!!

Hello

Could some one please tell me would a Yamaha 55AM gear box fit on to a Yamaha 55BE???
The engines both look the same, both 2 cylinder 2 strokes and both are standard shafts.
I think they even were buit around the same time i think the yam 55A was in late 70's and 77B was early 80's!? So there is not much in them. But if you can help it was be great.

advice needed A.S.A.P

Thanks for the help
Old 23 June 2008, 14:58   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I was lookign at clamp / tilt bits a while ago, and from memory those gearboxes may have managed to get onto the 3 cyl autolube 60 too..... There is certianly a lot of commonality between certian variants. I was using a Mariner microfiche, but memory says the leg components were identical.

If you have seen the two, would I be right in thinking one has the tilt assist ram inside the clamp, the other has two smaller rams on the outside?

I'm going form memory, coz the notes I made are at home. If you can ID the engines from pics, this is the website I got the Mariner exploded diagrams / part numbers from:

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp...nown&reqFor=29

Click "Mariner" then scroll down to the 50s..... Main problem is you may need to click through half a dozen model years to find a pic of what you're after as Mariners unfortunately don't share chassis numbers with the yams, even though they were made by Yamaha.... then you can compare the gbx part numbers on there to in/decreace your confidence....

Probably not the "yes/ no" you wanted, but it's a start........