Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 04 September 2022, 17:33   #1

Town: Southampton
Make: Sxorpion
Engine: Outboard
HELP!! Envirude 225hp 2 stroke

So recently have acquired a 7.5m scorpion rib with a 2003 envirude 225hp 2 stroke on it. However there seems to be a problem with it cutting out and not starting again for 20/30 minutes.

First time starts on the button nice gentle20/30 minute trip down river, turned it off but then went to restart and 3 lights on dash wouldn’t go and engine wouldn’t start again. Waited 20/30 minutes all lights gone and started on the button again.

2nd time- started on the button nice trip up the river to the Solent had a play in the Solent for 20/30 minutes at various speeds and then without warning engine cut out, 3 lights on the dash again and same again after 20/30 minutes of nothing fired straight up on the button and ran smoothly to get me back to the mooring.

Any recommendation on what you may think it may be would be much appreciated. Will be getting someone to take a look but that all are a couple week wait at the moment.
Old 04 September 2022, 22:19   #2

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
We recently had a problem with our Yamaha 115 2S and we eventually identified the problem with the switch box, it was going into limp mode as the over rev limited was activating and causing the revs to drop bsck to below 2k. This only came on after about 35 mins running. a suggestion would be to check the switch box out with a multi meter, although that didn’t help us much as we needed to run it before the fault appeared. The CDI - company published a fault finding flow chart that told us to disconnect various wires and see the result. If you look on the CDI company website you may find a switch box fault finding flow chart for your engine like we did. Just a thought.
Old 05 September 2022, 07:20   #3

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
I'd guess it's probably the ECU overheating. What model engine is it - E-Tec? Ficht?
Old 05 September 2022, 11:29   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
I'd guess it's probably the ECU overheating. What model engine is it - E-Tec? Ficht?

If it’s an Etec, the ECU is water cooled, not sure about the Ficht. The cooling pipework can get blocked with salt. It really needs plugging in to the diagnostics & see what fault codes are stored. If you have the NMEA 2000 command gauges, you should be able to read the fault codes from there.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2022, 07:08   #5

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
I'd definitely get the fault codes read before throwing any money at it (although how much info you get from a 2003 model, I don't know). E-Tecs are fitted with water cooled ECU's but they are still known to overheat. I believe the Ficht was not water cooled.
Old 06 September 2022, 10:03   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
I'd definitely get the fault codes read before throwing any money at it (although how much info you get from a 2003 model, I don't know). E-Tecs are fitted with water cooled ECU's but they are still known to overheat. I believe the Ficht was not water cooled.

Etecs were N2k capable from the get go, they were designed around the standard. They are one of the few (only?) engines that don’t need any kind of interface/gateway cable to communicate with a N2K network. The info from them was very comprehensive from the start.
I can help the OP with software & cable specs if required.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2022, 17:34   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
[QUOTE=Pikey Dave;857563]Etecs were N2k capable from the get go, they were designed around the standard. They are one of the few (only?) engines that don’t need any kind of interface/gateway cable to communicate with a N2K network.

Think n2k may have moved on a little (maybe with the exception of Suzuki !)
i have achieved with manufacturers cable only with no interface modules for engine data on 2010 yamaha and 2014 Honda ,+ garmin starter kit (even did Yam with Honda cable as is far cheaper )
Old 06 September 2022, 20:42   #8

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Get yourself over to barnacle bills forums. https://www.etecownersgroup.com/categories

Rules are simple. Furnish the forum with model and seriel number on first post or else.m and do a search first before posting.

Very helpful forum although I agree with the potential for ecu cooling, spark plugs or Vapor lock caused by petrol evaporating under a hot engine hood.