Old 13 November 2012, 18:26   #1
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Helm Pump Leak US Navy 7m

I have a leak in my help pump. So, I've been trying to figure out what I have. This was a project this weekend and on Monday no one was was open to ask (I have a call into Konrad to get info to cross reference their part numbers to Hynuatics)

Picture #1 - Helm pup is leaking (obviously!). Three line system with remote hydraulic reservoir.

Picture #2 - Pictures from the Konrad manual on how to bleed the lines, etc. From these pictures, my guess is that I have a Hynautic H-50 Helm Pump and and an Hynautic RV-55 or RV-55P Reservalve (reservoir). I can't figure out what the cylinder is but it's not leaking so I'm not too worried.

Options (from expensive to cheap):

1. Replace with Seastar (Hynautic H-50 Series Helms - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum). It turns out the H-50 was discontinued in 2010. Telefrex says the HH5273 is the direct replacement. No external reservoir would then be needed (online price $468)

2. Have a rebuild completed for $200. These guys (Troubleshoot - Hynautic Steering and all hydraulic steering needs) claim it's not a DIY job!!!!

3. Buy a seal kit for $30, rebuild it myself, and see if that fixes everything. This guy says it's pretty easy and put together a great guide on how to do it:
Hydraulic Helm Rebuild

Any thoughts? Is this a DIY job? Unfortunately, the way Willard set up the boat, every time you lift the console, it leans back and rest on the steering wheel. I may have to figure out a way to support it from the front (a pole, my boat hook, etc.) so that there's no torque on the wheel/shaft when I'm in work on or just flushing the engine. Does anyone know whether using a remote reservoir and pressurizing it is a more robust system and would make steering easier that the newer systems w/o a reservoir?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear of Help Pump.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	74104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic Steering.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	74105  
Old 14 November 2012, 18:02   #2
ncp

So, finally talked to Teleflex Tech Support in the Hydraulics Department.

1. They suggested new seals kit and a rebuild. Cheap & easy. See how it goes with that done. Only $32.

2. If and when we decide to replace the helm pump, the "Direct
Replacement" for the Hynautics H-50 is the Seastar HH5273 - 2.0 cu in pump, pushes 32.8 cc's per revolution, 1000psi $468

Though, when I priced the HH5273, I came across the HH5770
which is the "Pro" version. Same 2.0 cu in pump capacity, pushes the
same 32.8 cc's per revolution, but it's at 1500psi priced at $399 and
almost ~$70 cheaper. What will be the performance difference due to the higher psi????

3. Also, I asked about making steering easier. Tech support actually
suggested the HH5771. It's a smaller capacity pump - 1.7 cu in and it
only pushes 27.8 cc's per revolution (at 1000psi). So, by pushing
less volume per turn of the wheel, it might take one extra turn to
make a hard left/right (wheel turns lock-to-lock) thereby increasing
your mechanical advantage. Does this make sense? Performance-wise, is this the best option? And, it's even cheaper!!! $339
Old 14 November 2012, 18:03   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
All the posts I've seen on other forums sort of point to the job being a little finicky, but not that hard. Personally, I'd go for it, and use the pro rebuild as a backup if necessary.

I would leave the replacement for a last resort, unless you really want a new piece of equipment in place (which I would fully understand as well.)

jky
Old 14 November 2012, 18:12   #4
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Personally, I'd go for it, and use the pro rebuild as a backup if necessary.

I would leave the replacement for a last resort, unless you really want a new piece of equipment in place (which I would fully understand as well.)
I'm with you on the rebuild. I don't really have anything to lose on buying a seal kit ($32) and trying.

Though, I think that , if it comes to it, I would skip the professional rebuild for $200, and go straight to a new helm at $339-$399 (benefit of being able to remove the remote reservoir and simplify the system).

Do you know anything about the regular Seastar helms and their pro line that run at a higher psi? What is the advantage if the pumping volume is the same?
Old 15 November 2012, 04:49   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I assume you're talking volume per revolution? Easy: less volume per rev = more mechanical advantage.

Of course, if you want to make it really easy, let's just swap boats.

I was thinking the new stuff means easier parts, and a greater (current) knowledge base.

jky
Old 15 November 2012, 19:25   #6
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Do you know anything about the regular Seastar helms and their pro line that run at a higher psi? What is the advantage if the pumping volume is the same?
Talked to another Teleflex tech this morning. The "Pro" 2.0 and the regular 2.0 both pump the same cc's per revolution but the pro is harder to turn because of higher pressure, valve design, and therefore is is more responsive. Per the tech: Mainly used for very high speed boats, "if you start chine walking, control will be better" (I have no issues there!), mainly used on bass boats.

Different tech than yesterday and again he suggested for ease of turning the 1.7 helm (the cheapest!).

Ordered my seal kit for the H-50 ($32 incl. shipping) and will learn how to rebuild that first, pressurize/depressurize, etc. All good things to know...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teleflex.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	74191  
Old 21 January 2013, 05:19   #7

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
How did you do repairing yours? I just pulled mine off if you need another. didn't realize that's what I had. No idea what condition it is in.

Jason