Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Heavy Steering on DR 490 with 60 Hp

I am wondering is it normal for the steering to be heavy when the engine is trimmed in. The steering becomes much lighter once the engine has been trimmed out when I am on the plane. The steering is mechancial not hydraulic

During my PB2 I was told to start with the engine trimmed all the way in.

you thoughts please
TSM
Old 10 July 2008, 20:14   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Well, you start out with engine trimmed in to help keep the bow down as the boat tries to climb onto plane. It shouldn't affect steering effort.

As to why this would affect steering, I don't know. Does it happen while sitting still as well? If so, I'd suspect cables being scrunched up or pinched or something similar.

If it doesn't happen except while moving, then I have no idea.

jky
Old 10 July 2008, 21:16   #3

RIBase
The steering is light when not moving it only seems to be heavy trimmed in and under load. I just checked it and the steering is light when there is no load
Old 10 July 2008, 21:34   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Is there any play in the steering bushes on the engine?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 21:35   #5

Length: 5m +
Fairly normal I am afraid. I have a pair of DR 490s and a V 520 here and all have this steering issue. Although it is noticable on all outfits not just valiants to some extent. Correct trimming will help you out, If there is an indication that this problem is getting worse then the steering may need attention. Steering may be loose when not under load but stiffen when forces act on it.

I would have a look through timming your outboard and see how you get on.
Old 11 July 2008, 08:11   #6

RIBase
Hi minimerc

The engine and steering are new so I dont think there is an issue with the equipment. I am wondering am I correct to start off with the enging trimmed in?

TSM
Old 11 July 2008, 11:02   #7

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quite normal for many setups - experiment! Try and find a happy medium between steering load and the bow pointing up to the sky when getting on the plane. The problem is every boat is different with props, engine height, weight distribution engine HP etc, so there are no hard and fast rules.

The general rule as your instructor told you is to trim in to get the boat on the plane as easy as possible, but vary the trim angles in small increments until you get a result - hope that helps?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2008, 11:39   #8

Town: Holland
Make: Brig F360S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
Heavy steering indicates too much drag... When you're engine is trimmed in all the way it sticks deeper into the water, you can try to raise the engine one hole on the stern, that may dramatically help...
Old 12 July 2008, 02:32   #9

TSM

Yes trim down to get on plane (Down for power up for speed)

As suggested you could lift the engine a bit, may help, I have my engine on the v 520 up two holes. Goes faster, less steering issues but prop a bit close to the surface so ventalates a bit at times. It suits me that way.

I would suggest you suck it and see, dont be to keen to alter your rig untill you get a few miles with it. I would think with a 60 on a 490 you wont have any problems getting on the plane so just dont trim all the way down. The trim up as soon as your boat goes flat. In small steps.

Have you got the 490 with the small steering wheel? One of mine has and this makes the problem seem worse than it is.

I could go on about trim all day but the best thing to do is experement and dont be to quick to change the trim. select an angle and see what your boat does throughout the manovers. Then alter a small amount and try again.

Dont worry about it. Just enjoy.
Old 27 October 2009, 11:40   #10

RIBase
Heavy Steering cured

I adjusted the trim tab (on the cav plate behine the prop) the steering is no relativy light when fully trimmed in. In a choppy seas the engine fully trimmed in makes the rib much more comfortable to use. As a result I now can travell at higher speeds with comfort in choppy seas.

TSM
Old 27 October 2009, 12:28   #11

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I adjusted the trim tab (on the cav plate behine the prop) the steering is no relativy light when fully trimmed in. In a choppy seas the engine fully trimmed in makes the rib much more comfortable to use. As a result I now can travell at higher speeds with comfort in choppy seas.

TSM
That's really interesting. I wonder why the trim tab has made such a difference?

I may give that a try next season as I can trim the engine in until I can't steer at all. . There are times when I would like to trim in more than I do to keep the bow down, but my limit is the steering effort required.

This phenomenon is actually mentioned in my engine owners manual. In fact, having just re-read it..... "Trimming In or Down Can: Increase steering torque or pull to the right (with normal RH prop).".... I've probably answered my own question.

I have mechanical 'No Feed Back' steering, so it's not obvious that there is an excessive pull in one direction - the steering just gets very stiff when trying to turn either way, presumably because the NFB clutches are working overtime.

So, two stroke mick, while standing behind the boat and looking forward, which way did you turn the trim tab - clockwise or anticlockwise? And by how much roughly? (I've tried, I've had it explained, but I just can't get my head round engine trim tabs )