Old 28 April 2006, 18:00   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
good value?

just browsing having missed a Suzumar inflatable tender package and 5hp outboard advertised locally in the paper this morning, and I see this special offer

Suzuki 4hp

seems pretty cheap compared to other prices I had been looking at??

I would rather something a little bigger (5 or 6hp) but it seems like a nice price for a new aux engine!
Old 28 April 2006, 18:09   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
just browsing having missed a Suzumar inflatable tender package and 5hp outboard advertised locally in the paper this morning, and I see this special offer

Suzuki 4hp

seems pretty cheap compared to other prices I had been looking at??

I would rather something a little bigger (5 or 6hp) but it seems like a nice price for a new aux engine!
It is cheap, although you will probably need the long shaft, secondly you will need to convert/ order it to take an external tank.
Old 29 April 2006, 08:43   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
you will need to convert/ order it to take an external tank.

Why? There should be well over an hour's running for that in the built in 1.5 litre tank and it'll be a seperate fuel source so you won't use both engines if your fuel gets contaminated.

I'd be happier like that as long as I had a way of getting fuel into it from my main tanks if I needed to.

All you need is a connector the same as on your main engine with a length of pipe attached and you can fill the onboard tank from your primer bulb. (not easy but better than nothing and a damn sight easier than filling it from a can.)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2006, 12:01   #4

It does seem a very small tank to put on an engine but as Nos4r2 says, I would prefer something that is independent from a fuel contamination point of view. I'd have fuel cans anyway if going any distance, and the "Superpump" syphon pump is gonna be magic for filling out of cans, a bit slow (1 min 40 sec to empty a 10 litre bucket) but sooo much easier and less likely to end up with fuel everywhere...
Old 29 April 2006, 12:43   #5
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Why? There should be well over an hour's running for that in the built in 1.5 litre tank and it'll be a seperate fuel source so you won't use both engines if your fuel gets contaminated.

I'd be happier like that as long as I had a way of getting fuel into it from my main tanks if I needed to.

All you need is a connector the same as on your main engine with a length of pipe attached and you can fill the onboard tank from your primer bulb. (not easy but better than nothing and a damn sight easier than filling it from a can.)
I very much doubt it, with a 4HP on a large rib your going to be at 3/4-full throttle, that 1.5l tank won't last long at all.
My little Yammie malta (3.5hp) on an Avon R280 air deck has a 1.5l tank lasts about an hour tops if your going anymore than walking pace.
Not sure I would want to be refilling that tank internal tank in a sea. I would rig up a seperate 10L/25L tank specifically for the aux, although you need to buy a fuel pump or something, I think to convert a 4hp Mariner 2smoke was quoted around £100 excluding the tank for the various bit you need, was a while ago now though!
Old 29 April 2006, 22:43   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
I very much doubt it, with a 4HP on a large rib your going to be at 3/4-full throttle, that 1.5l tank won't last long at all.

Rule of thumb for 2-stroke fuel usage is 1 US gallon/hour per 10hp at WOT. 4-strokes use considerably less fuel. Maybe you're right-not an hours worth in a 1.5 litre tank but at least 45 minutes at 3/4 throttle.

Still a good reserve.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2006, 02:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Rule of thumb for 2-stroke fuel usage is 1 US gallon/hour per 10hp at WOT. 4-strokes use considerably less fuel. Maybe you're right-not an hours worth in a 1.5 litre tank but at least 45 minutes at 3/4 throttle.

Still a good reserve.
Still better than rowing too