Click Here to Login

Old 05 March 2016, 00:07   #1

Town: San Pedro, CA
Boat name: CATSASS
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 1986 30HP Mariner
MMSI: 338206221
Fuel Water Separator Needed for Portable Fuel Tanks?

I was about to install a fuel water separator, and was trying to figure out if it mattered if I keep the primer bulb up by the 12 gallon bow tank (under the front of the jockey console) or move it between the motor and the filter, but came across some talk saying it was unnecessary on portable fuel tanks. Any truth to this? The primer bulb was set up closest to the tank, so I left it that way, but truth be told, since my old 30HP Mariner is pull start, it would almost be better back by the motor. That said, having that big can on the transom is kind of a pain too, especially since I pile up four scuba tanks back there at times. If I don't need the damn thing, I'd prefer to leave it out. But I ant to get the most life I can out of this old motor. Yay or Nay on the fuel water separator? How about the bulb? The fuel system is the new closed EPA type with a device to prevent the tank pushing fuel through the line when swelling in the heat. The bulb primes super easy even with the 12' hose running to the motor.
Old 05 March 2016, 08:18   #2

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
I was about to install a fuel water separator, and was trying to figure out if it mattered if I keep the primer bulb up by the 12 gallon bow tank (under the front of the jockey console) or move it between the motor and the filter, but came across some talk saying it was unnecessary on portable fuel tanks. Any truth to this? The primer bulb was set up closest to the tank, so I left it that way, but truth be told, since my old 30HP Mariner is pull start, it would almost be better back by the motor. That said, having that big can on the transom is kind of a pain too, especially since I pile up four scuba tanks back there at times. If I don't need the damn thing, I'd prefer to leave it out. But I ant to get the most life I can out of this old motor. Yay or Nay on the fuel water separator? How about the bulb? The fuel system is the new closed EPA type with a device to prevent the tank pushing fuel through the line when swelling in the heat. The bulb primes super easy even with the 12' hose running to the motor.
Parker-Racor has a filter base with an integrated primer bulb in the body of it. I wanted one but could only find them in the US, but I guess that's not a problem for you?
Old 05 March 2016, 09:40   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I use a fuel separator on my sib just through choice the beauty with portable tanks is it's easy to keep them clean & water free with regular maintenance unlike fixed tanks.my take is water can get in through the breather so I fitted one.OMO
Old 05 March 2016, 13:05   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I highly recommend using one.

With a portable gas tank and ethanol-free fuel, I'd still get a few milliliters of water every few dozen hours.

Not only that, but portable fuel tanks tend to get kinda gross? A 10 micron fuel filter / water separator will help prevent wear to your carb jets / fuel injectors, as well as preventing corrosion.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2016, 14:43   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
me too. re cleaning portable tanks after a recent invasive medical procedure I thought it would be a good idea to buy an endoscope that we could look inside our fuel tanks with. I found one on ebay for 18 quid that clips onto the usb socket of the phone. use that with a stick and a cloth youll get your tanks very dry.

also for those of you in the UK Garage fuel tanks need to be maintained to keep the water level down. its an expensive procedure so it doesn't get done as often as it should. friend of mine who runs a company doing just that said its best to get your fuel from a Supermarket as they are a lot more fastidious about keeping their tanks clean and can afford it.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2016, 19:39   #6

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
after a recent invasive medical procedure I thought it would be a good idea to buy an endoscope
Sometimes you can get just a bit TOO much information........
Old 06 March 2016, 16:16   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Would the good idea be whilst choking or eyes watering?