Old 05 June 2006, 07:22   #1

Town: Gothenburg
Make: Rib Unlimited
Length: 7
Engine: outboard Yam 115
Fuel lines

Started the outboard yesterday, but it stopped while on idle after 5 minutes.... Upon closer investigation I noticed that the engine was just sucking air due to a crack in the rubber fuel pipe where it connects to the fuel tank. I noticed that most of the visible parts of the fuel pipe seem to have cracks, is this normal? Boat is 5 years old.
I have bought 5 meters of new pipe so hopefully I can replace the old ones later today. The only difference is the new pipe is marked at 20 BAR and the old at 10 BAR.
Old 05 June 2006, 08:35   #2

Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksweden
Started the outboard yesterday, but it stopped while on idle after 5 minutes.... Upon closer investigation I noticed that the engine was just sucking air due to a crack in the rubber fuel pipe where it connects to the fuel tank. I noticed that most of the visible parts of the fuel pipe seem to have cracks, is this normal? Boat is 5 years old.
I have bought 5 meters of new pipe so hopefully I can replace the old ones later today. The only difference is the new pipe is marked at 20 BAR and the old at 10 BAR.
Nick,

Most rubber can degenerate with the UV components of sunlight - are the locations you mention exposed to the sun?

I have a fuel problem too - http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....848#post150848 Did you buy 7mm pipe or 8mm pipe for your 115 Yamaha?

Regards,

Tim
Old 05 June 2006, 13:12   #3

Town: Gothenburg
Make: Rib Unlimited
Length: 7
Engine: outboard Yam 115
On the stainless steel tank there is a 8mm S/S pipe approx 20mm long with a diameter of 8mm so I needed 4 meters of 8mm (inside diameter) pipe to run to the transom where I have a fuel filter I managed to squeeze end of the 8mm pipe on to the 10mm filter fixing. I then ran a 10mm pipe from the filter to the priming bulb. All connections were made with S/S jubilee clips.
I couldn't prime the system just using the bulb so I had to suck on the end of the 4m pipe and push it onto the filter a bit quick, I can still taste the petrol!

The worst cracking of the pipe was near the fuel tank fixing which is under the center consol and thus never subject to direct sunlight!

I noticed the 10mm pipe seems to have a greater wall thickness, maybe this helps.