Old 13 August 2012, 08:28   #1

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Fuel filters.

I am thinking of fitting a fuel filter / water separator, to my sr4. Are they fuel specific ie. petrol / diesel? and will they all filter water out of the fuel, or is that another specific? The reason I ask is because the boat was swamped yesterday and the fuel tanks were submerged, although the caps and vents were screwed down there is still a chance I got some water ingress. Also can anyone recommend one, and will they all use much the same bracket?
Old 13 August 2012, 11:01   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Racor do a range of filters. Get one with the clear bowl then you can see what's going on. About £60 for the initial kit & then a tenner a time for the elements.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 16:11   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Personally I don't like anything breakable IE plastic mounted on a fuel filter. A steel canister is much more robust. Either way fuel filters with water separators built in are a great addition.

Although not swamping the boat helps to keep the water out of the fuel tanks too
Old 13 August 2012, 20:56   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Personally I don't like anything breakable IE plastic mounted on a fuel filter. A steel canister is much more robust. Either way fuel filters with water separators built in are a great addition.

Although not swamping the boat helps to keep the water out of the fuel tanks too
The plastic bowls on the Racors are stronger than the tin can filter elements, you certainly wouldn't stick a screwdriver through 'em
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 13 August 2012, 21:35   #5

Is the drain cock (Black plastic part in photo below) stronger than a tin can? What about kicking it with a foot, or hitting it with a solid object bouncing around in rough water? Having replaced many radiator drain cocks due to failure I guess I am predisposed. Plus adding more failure points aka gaskets below fuel level is not something I consider a good idea either, and why Holley carbs suck vs Edelbrock for safety. Or so "my opinion" goes.

Old 13 August 2012, 22:07   #6

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
and if you tighten the flimsy black tap too much (very easy to do) the rubber seal jumps off and you have a fuel leak
Old 14 August 2012, 15:12   #7

RIBase
Doesn't look like a Racor to me
Old 14 August 2012, 15:21   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Is the drain cock (Black plastic part in photo below) stronger than a tin can? What about kicking it with a foot, or hitting it with a solid object bouncing around in rough water? Having replaced many radiator drain cocks due to failure I guess I am predisposed. Plus adding more failure points aka gaskets below fuel level is not something I consider a good idea either, and why Holley carbs suck vs Edelbrock for safety. Or so "my opinion" goes.

Don't go around hitting it with heavy objects then!! I suppose you don't have a gps, vhf, or compass on board in case it get's hit by a heavy object The application of a little common sense goes a long way.
Old 14 August 2012, 16:48   #9

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Don't go around hitting it with heavy objects then!! I suppose you don't have a gps, vhf, or compass on board in case it get's hit by a heavy object The application of a little common sense goes a long way.

Racor fitted and never managed to break one
Old 14 August 2012, 17:01   #10

Quote:
Don't go around hitting it with heavy objects then!!
HA! Last night when putting my motor back on I pushed the motor to transom bolt too far back into the filter, whoops! It now has a dent in it, but no fear it will still continue to work.

Quote:
I suppose you don't have a gps, vhf, or compass on board in case it get's hit by a heavy object
I do have a GPS, VHF, and my compass lives on my wrist (Probably should put a spare compass into my save-a-boat-dive kit). Everything is protected up off the floor in a custom built ABS mini tower that keeps them out of harms way. I rest my foot on my fuel filter, and often my double HP100 cf tanks or a single HP130 cf are found resting against my transom. There is no safe place in a small boat Your big boat doesn't have the space issues of a little boat.

Quote:
The application of a little common sense goes a long way.
Yup and mine still tells me failure points are not a good thing.

Let me ask you this..."Why do you need the plastic see thru part?" On a small boat you can see into the fuel tank, and a standard canister also serves as a water separator.

BTW I have seen Racor's fail from over tightening. Fortunately it was diesel.