Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Fuel Filter

Hi

This kind of follows on from a previous thread about the need for auxilliary engines on ribs. If some engine malfunctions can be attributed to dirty or contaminated fuel (water) - is it possible to fit an inline fuel filter to my Yamaha 40 (2-stroke), 3 cylinder Autolube engine. It's manual start, trim and tilt with automatic choke - 1995. I just want to minimise engine trouble.

I've seen this on larger ribs, but hadn't considered it for smaller boats.

I normally have 50 litres onboard from two standard 25 litre Yamaha tanks. Ideally I just want to be able to switch fuel lines direct to filter. Almost plug and play. Is this possible?
Old 05 January 2008, 12:13   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Have a read of this thread.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...&highlight=cav

Just bought another CAV filter fo £39 from our local diesel injector factors, for use on an Optimax. Spare cartridges are £1.20 from ASAP Supplies.

If you connect two fuel tanks then only one may draw until empty leaving the other full. Easiest way would be to switch over the fuel tanks when one gets low, you could do change over valves but why not just keep it simple. Carrying a spare fuel line from tank direct to engine would be good if it all goes pear shaped.

Pete
Old 05 January 2008, 12:59   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
My old boat had a large 70l tank feeding through a CAV filter on the transom. I also had a small 12l tank with connections that could be swopped directly onto the engine which wasn't filtered.
I carried a small connector on a 6 inch piece of hose that plugged into the end of either conection to the engine.
To fill I unplgged the engine conedtion and plugged in the small connector, then pumped the bulb giving filtered fuel from the main tank into the aux. Or just the same from the backup tank but not filtered.
All fuel connections could therefore feed everything by just plugging and unplugging with no tools.
The new boat will have twin switchable tanks with a filter up front in the console with the aux being filled using the same adaptor at the transom used by unplugging the outboard.
I fuel the boat at a standard petrol station as the boat is never left on the water so have never had any fuel contamination issues, my worries are more running out of fuel or mechanical breakdowns and my system is aimed at these.