Old 22 September 2005, 19:01   #1

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Fuel consumption

There has been a good deal of talk about fuel consumption in the past, especially petrol v diesel. I buy my diesel in bulk and today I'm in the position to know, pretty closely, how much fuel I've consumed to date. Just for info, I thought it might be interesting to some.

8.5mtr rib, on the water typical weight 3200kg, 285hp diesel engine, overall consumption 1.1lt/mile (statute) which is a tad better than 4mpg. This includes all the running the engine has done...flushing, sitting at the quayside etc.
Old 22 September 2005, 20:58   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Actually that isn't that good - the Quinquari humbers with 2x Evinrude 250s do about the same - the ONLY real advantages are the cost and availability of diesel - but they are BIG adavantages!!!
Old 22 September 2005, 21:24   #3

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Thats good consumption for such a heavy boat, why not consider veg oil

once at 70 degrees it goes tro the diesel pump like diesel fuel

read articles here
http://www.dieselveg.com/

about .45 a litre

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 21:30   #4

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Actually that isn't that good - the Quinquari humbers with 2x Evinrude 250s do about the same -
Feck' off....
Old 22 September 2005, 21:44   #5

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Actually that isn't that good - the Quinquari humbers with 2x Evinrude 250s do about the same - the ONLY real advantages are the cost and availability of diesel - but they are BIG adavantages!!!
is that each engine does the same economy or combined they do the same economy, i cant imagine two 250s would average 1 lit per mile unless they are strapped to a sib
Old 22 September 2005, 22:02   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
In fairless to our esteemed Mr Codprawn, those are John Price's (Mr Quinquarimarine) own figures which he stated on RIB.net a little while ago, and are published in his article in the latest RIB International.

I have a feeling that there's a misunderstanding (perhaps these figures are PER ENGINE?) or is there a basic mathematical mistake? However, I've never run a 10m Humber with twin 250 Etecs, so my thoughts cannot be backed up with any evidence. JP is has stated that they are correct, and to disprove them, you would have to either inspect his acounts or work on one of his boat for a day.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2005, 22:54   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
... why not consider veg oil....
....about .45 a litre
Gavin, I'd need to be seriously green... that's about half as much again as diesel.

--------------------------
Cod, having run a Humber with 200hp, I'm with Jono. Also, remember this consumption is including the times the boat is not cruising, and, indeed, not even on the water.
-------------------------

As an extra bit of info, the figues tally almost exactly with the Volvo fuel curves for the engine. I was surprised.
Old 23 September 2005, 02:04   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
In fairless to our esteemed Mr Codprawn, those are John Price's (Mr Quinquarimarine) own figures which he stated on RIB.net a little while ago, and are published in his article in the latest RIB International.

I have a feeling that there's a misunderstanding (perhaps these figures are PER ENGINE?) or is there a basic mathematical mistake? However, I've never run a 10m Humber with twin 250 Etecs, so my thoughts cannot be backed up with any evidence. JP is has stated that they are correct, and to disprove them, you would have to either inspect his acounts or work on one of his boat for a day.
Exactly - I can't see why the hell John would lie about it - and he has a hell of a lot more experience than most - he really DOES know what he is talking about!!!

There is one of his boats in Swansea - they fill up from jerry cans so it can't be THAT thirsty - mine will probably need lots of trips to Tesco on a trailer!!!
Old 23 September 2005, 07:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B

I'll bet you believe everything that you read in the papers too? I remember when the "Daily Star" first published with the story "Lancaster found on the moon"... I ain't gonna bother going to the moon to check that out either.......
Old 23 September 2005, 08:56   #10

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
"Lancaster found on the moon".
Didn't know Burt was an astronaut
Old 23 September 2005, 09:06   #11

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Yeah and if you read the article again he also states that consumption varies by operator.
Andy
Old 23 September 2005, 09:10   #12
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Just an observation - not much to back it up - but I was talking to the owner/operator of one of the 10m Humbers earlier in the summer - who were refuelling after 2 hours of running. Not sure what sort of mileage they cover, and at what sort of speeds - but they emptied a lot (8+) big jerry cans into the fuel tank. If that was just for 2 hours, I doubt that they are getting 1.1 nm/l. As I said - just an observation.

I've been running my RIB commercially all summer - and keep track of all my fuel - and I've got through 3206l in 204 hours (including some sitting at the quayside waiting/loading) and according to the odometer on the GPS, have travelled 3625 nm - slightly less than 1.2nm/l.

Having said that - a lot of the actual running is at higher than optimum cruising speed - often at or around Max Continuous revs. And I wish my quayside diesel was as cheap as JWs!!

Dylan...
Old 23 September 2005, 09:29   #13

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
if its any use----
my yam 250's use 60liters/hr/engine at 5100 rpm 2400 kgs gros at 55 knts.
measured by a flowscan /and empty-fill up difference at a garage petrol pump.The mimimum made at 2500 rpm and 22 knts came out at 18 liters/hr/engine- same base.

Thee are latest figures +/- 4% error and correct trim in ideal conditions.

jonathan
Old 23 September 2005, 09:37   #14

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
..... I've got through 3206l ............ according to the odometer on the GPS, have travelled 3625 nm - slightly less than 1.2nm/l.
Dylan, I think you’ve done the sum wrong or your distance and fuel figure are the wrong way round Des
Old 23 September 2005, 09:41   #15

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
I've been running my RIB commercially all summer - and keep track of all my fuel - and I've got through 3206l in 204 hours (including some sitting at the quayside waiting/loading) and according to the odometer on the GPS, have travelled 3625 nm - slightly less than 1.2nm/l.

DGR that is 3206/204= 15.71 liters/hr????????????????

CANT BE RIGHT???????????? or a lot of sitting at the docks??

Jonathan
Old 23 September 2005, 11:35   #16
DGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Dylan, I think you’ve done the sum wrong or your distance and fuel figure are the wrong way round Des
I think that's right - 3625nm and 3206l is approx 1.2nm/l. Or the other way round is 0.83l/nm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
DGR that is 3206/204= 15.71 liters/hr????????????????

CANT BE RIGHT???????????? or a lot of sitting at the docks??
Some sitting at quayside (20% max?) rest of the time switched off or driving about. I don't have an accurate figure for time at the quayside - but if I'm not going out again, after the 5 minute cool-down I turn the engine off (and the ignition!!) anyway.

As mentioned previously (on another thread) - I'm getting between 10 and 20 liters/hr (hours measured on the engine/ignition clock) depending on what we are doing.

Dylan...
Old 23 September 2005, 11:49   #17

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
I think that's right - 3625nm and 3206l is approx 1.2nm/l. Or the other way round is 0.83l/nm.Dylan...
You are doing more miles than ltrs used therefore it is 0.83 which is much better than 1.2 so I’d be happy Des
Old 23 September 2005, 11:59   #18

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
I think that's right - 3625nm and 3206l is approx 1.2nm/l. Or the other way round is 0.83l/nm.
Des Both these figures mean exactly the same thing and are both correct you should always check what units someone is quoting before telling them that their maths is wrong.

Its like comparing (miles per gallon) with the new eurapean way of measuring cars consumption figures in (litres per 100 kilometers) The first one will have a higher value as you get more efficient and the second one will give a lower value as you get more efficient.

DGR's 1.2 nm/l is a unit that will increase with efficiency but it is exactly the same figure as 0.83l/nm which will decrease with efficiency
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2005, 11:59   #19
DGR

I am happy!!
Old 23 September 2005, 12:14   #20

Don't have a pop at Des.... He's got a screw loose.... and that's official !!