Old 30 November 2008, 19:28   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Frozen engine - how bad?

I ran my engine (2str 20HP yam) very briefly this morning is a bucket of water, to check I had fixed a problem and that the battery still had enough juice to turn it over.

It was running only for about 30 sec-1 min so as to cause minimal disturbance to the neighbours. I planned to run it for longer to drain out the carbs, and basically winterise it later in the day when I had finished tidying up. So it didn't get hot enough for the thermostat to open.

I left the prob in the bucket during the day. Bad mistake. The water started to freeze by the time I got back to it. Now can't get engine to turnover. On turning the key the starter solenoid engages (click - and physically checked) but the motor doesn't spin. Pull start seemed very stiff so didn't persue this route as their seemed to be a problem. Battery is giving 12.6V at engine so don't think its as simple as that!

With kill cord pulled, and HT leads off - I can just turn the prop in gear by hand (not sure how far - seemed very stiff so stopped). It turns fine in neutral.

So - anyone experienced this sort of issue? Whats best way to go about investigating/fixing? I am guessing that the water in the leg has frozen and is stopping something turning. It was probably -4C today and it was in the shade; by the time I spotted it had frozen the bucket had about 2-3 mm of ice on the surface. Could it be as simple as the water in impellor/pump is frozen and it can't turn - so everything is "locked". Or would you expect the drive shaft to still turn - in which case has the ice bent something serious?

What is the best way to defrost this - very quickly (e.g. hair drier/heat gun), quickly (ie. inside boat shed with a heater close by) quite quickly (ie. just inside the boat shed asap), slowly (ie. leave it outside to warm up with the environment/weather) - bearing in mind that it may get colder before it gets warmer.

Are there any critical tests you would suggest doing before trying to fire her up after defrosting?
Old 30 November 2008, 19:46   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Get it inside the house overnight!!!

Could be anything - could even be water in the gear oil has frozen. To be honest you shouldn't have tried to turn it over. Hope it's all ok.
Old 30 November 2008, 19:57   #3
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
At a guess it sounds like the gearbox oil has frozen like codders has already said. Not sure at what temp oil freezes though? Get in bed with it tonight and inform the wife there are three people in your relationship
Old 30 November 2008, 20:45   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I doubt that the oil in tgearbox has frozen, the impellor may have done however I cant see this causing too much of a problem just warm it up and try again.

I would not worry, these engines are designed to run in cold conditions.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 20:50   #5
JSP

According to the net (which is a source of info never to be questioned!!) Gear oil freezes at 0, 2 stroke at -25.
Old 30 November 2008, 21:11   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I doubt that the oil in tgearbox has frozen, the impellor may have done however I cant see this causing too much of a problem just warm it up and try again.

I would not worry, these engines are designed to run in cold conditions.
I also doubt the gearbox oil has frozen as (1) the prop turns freely in neutral (2) it goes in and out of gear easily (3) the gearbox was below the level of the ice - so presumably was > 0 C anyway.

Will warm it up, investigate more and try again.
Old 30 November 2008, 21:17   #7
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
you should have stuck some salt in the bucket.
Old 30 November 2008, 21:47   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
My only guess is that as already mentioned it's the Impellor that has frozen, this is higher than the gearbox and possibly would have been pretty close to the frozen water line. This could be worrying because if the water in the water pump has frozen then you could do some damage to the impellor or the housing as some of these are plastic. Resist turning her over untill this has thawed out

My only suggestion is to keep fingers crossed, try and thaw the leg and try again.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 21:53   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
you should have stuck some salt in the bucket.
aye - bloody typical you normally go to great efforts to flush the engine to get rid of salt and then fresh water causes you the problem - salt would have been wise in the circumstances (or removing the leg from the bucket) - but I really didn't think it would freeze that quickly (and I actually expected it to get warmer throughout the day).

You live and learn - hopefully this will turn out to be a scare rather than an expensive learning curve.
Old 30 November 2008, 22:00   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My only guess is that as already mentioned it's the Impellor that has frozen, this is higher than the gearbox and possibly would have been pretty close to the frozen water line. This could be worrying because if the water in the water pump has frozen then you could do some damage to the impellor or the housing as some of these are plastic. Resist turning her over untill this has thawed out

My only suggestion is to keep fingers crossed, try and thaw the leg and try again.
thanks hightower. its due a new impellor at the start of next season anyway. So if there is any sign of a problem I'll drop the leg once its defrosted. hopefully if there is any damage it will be to something simple like the water pump / housing rather than something expensive like the drive shaft
Old 30 November 2008, 22:15   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Can you get it indoors with the lower unit in a bucket of cold tap water to help defrost it?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 22:29   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Can you get it indoors with the lower unit in a bucket of cold tap water to help defrost it?
unfortunately not tonight. the engine is bolted to the transom, and by the time I de-rig steering, electrics, throttle cable etc the weather will probably be warming up. I will take it back to the boatshed at the marina tomorrow - and can certainly leave it in a bucket there - not sure how cold it will be as its not the most substantial building but it should be above zero. You said cold water - does that suggest doing it gradually is better than using warm water?

I could even leave it in warm salty water outside tonight (salty to stop it refreezing)?
Old 30 November 2008, 22:34   #13
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
You said cold water - does that suggest doing it gradually is better than using warm water?
Yes-heating it rapidly isn't a good idea. It'll cause a sudden increase in pressure in any air in the gearbox for a start.Just the temp it comes out of the tap will be OK.
Quote:

I could even leave it in warm salty water outside tonight (salty to stop it refreezing)?
That might be an idea-or add some antifreeze to the water instead would be better.

Old 30 November 2008, 22:59   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
It was -4 here today and it's -9 now. You'll likely be at similar temps. Bung some antifreeze into the water and put the engine back in up to it's neck, if you're worried about how to warm it up.

Edit: Ooops, sorry Nos, didn't notice you mentioned that.
Old 30 November 2008, 23:08   #15
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
It was -4 here today and it's -9 now.
No prob
Jesus! -9!

Salt won't do the business then. Antifreeze is really the only option.

Old 30 November 2008, 23:31   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
It was -4 here today and it's -9 now. You'll likely be at similar temps. Bung some antifreeze into the water and put the engine back in up to it's neck, if you're worried about how to warm it up.
thanks Jeff, only 0.5L of antifreeze here which is probably not enough to stop my 50L bucket from freezing, if it really is as cold as that. Likewise I would need much more salt than Mrs P keeps in the kitchen to prevent that much water freezing. So I will take it back to port edgar tomorrow and pick up 5L of antifreeze on the way and leave the leg in that all day tomorrow.
Old 01 December 2008, 00:03   #17

Quote:
... So I will take it back to port edgar tomorrow and pick up 5L of antifreeze on the way and leave the leg in that all day tomorrow.
If you're going to Port Edgar, can you not just put it back into the sea?
Old 01 December 2008, 08:44   #18
RIBnet admin team

Common sense

Quote:
If you're going to Port Edgar, can you not just put it back into the sea?
JW - don't be coming out with common sense simple solutions like that - when clearly there is a distinct lack of intelligence at this end to have frozen it in the first place .

It seems to be a little milder today - the frost is clearing from the boat and I saw a drip come out the cooling water inlets earlier - so its going in the right direction. Hopefully a day in the shed at Port Edgar will be enough - if not it will go for a dip tonight...
Old 01 December 2008, 09:08   #19
JSP

Out of interest I searched again on the freezing point of gear oil (although the more knowledgeable here have already stated it wont be that.)
Another source says Hydraulic Oil, Gear Lube & Gear Oil freezes @ -10.
Now imagine you moor your boat up and leave the leg in the water, you bugger off to get the car and trailer and your delayed for a bit. The flowing water will be at a lower temp to standing water (correct me if I'm wrong on that) and your box freezes as bad as a nuns box.
Will have to think on next time to pull the motor out of the water.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
...Another source says Hydraulic Oil, Gear Lube & Gear Oil freezes @ -10.
Nah. My Castrol data sheet for my gear oil states the pour point to be -36c. My Fuchs hydraulic oil pour point is -45c and -42c dependent on grade.