Old 19 October 2005, 20:28   #1

Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
For Ollyit, Nos4r2, and other Searider 4 meter owners

Just wanted to share a major improvement I've experienced with my SR4. I recently put on a 14 pitch 10 1/4" SS Raptor Michigan Wheel propeller on my Tohatsu 50. My boat now does 38 mph vs 34 mph with the stock Tohatsu 13 pitch 10 1/4" Alu prop. This is within mfg spec rpm range of 5400-5800 rpms. I plan on raising my motor 1 hole on the transom as well. I've been told this will bring rpms up another 2-3 hundred. My main goal is increased fuel economy but increased hole shot would be welcome.

I also have the Nauticus trim tabs. I'm using the 30 lb actuators. Anyone using the 40lb? How do they work?

Stats on your props & speed & hole shot experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm just curious to see how our configurations vary.

Boatster

EDIT: Oh and my outboard runs quieter and smoother with the new SS prop as well.
Old 19 October 2005, 21:12   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Cool!

Cool! I was thinking about getting a 14" ally prop for mine and polishing/sharpening/balancing/'tuning' it to see what kind of difference it makes-or getting a 4 bladed variable pitch. Sounds like I should get on and do it. I've got a 13 pitch on there at the moment, no tabs and a flap-type thing on my flooding hull to slow the flooding so holeshot is better after tight turns etc.

Have you still got the flooding hull? I'm curious to know how fast it drains with the nauticus tabs on-mine is VERY rapid draining without tabs as the bow points skyward-do the tabs effect this?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2005, 21:18   #3

I do have the flooding hull. I prefer it when the boat is at rest, it doesn't bob about. It also takes a bit longer to get onto plane with the SS prop but not by much. The tabs actually help my boat pop up much faster than without them. The way my boat is balanced it would take forever to pop up without the trim tabs. I've got a SS bench seat and a 19 gallon fuel tank at the rear.
Old 19 October 2005, 21:23   #4
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Thats why I didn't seal mine off completely-I didn't want to bob about that much either.It takes about 10 seconds to fill now rather than 2 or 3 and the difference is really noticeable when you're in heavy seas and have trouble getting on the plane.

I've got 12 gallons in the console and another 6 going to go in either the bow or stern-and I'm guessing you've seen my layout in the pics on here and iboats. Sounds like I might HAVE to buy the tabs-but I'm going to play with an ebay prop 1st when I can find one.

BTW whats the weight of your tohatsu compared with my merc/mariner thing?

Old 19 October 2005, 21:24   #5

Nos4r2,

That is a good idea for the flap thing. Did you just rig one up yourself? I would love to see a pic if possible. Do you think it would help if stopping briefly and then accelerating off? It would be great to limit the water coming in from a brief deceleration then back up to speed.

EDIT: My Tohatsu weighs 170lbs. It has power tilt.

I would highly recommend getting the Nauticus tabs. They make the boat ride
a world better. I was out in rough stuff one day running with an 18 ribcraft and we were handling the rough stuff and keeping up with them no problem. Without the tabs I know for a fact we wouldn't last. Before putting them on the boat would bob and pitch like crazy. The ride was rediculous compared to now.
Old 19 October 2005, 21:33   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
Nos4r2,

That is a good idea for the flap thing. Did you just rig one up yourself? I would love to see a pic if possible. Do you think it would help if stopping briefly and then accelerating off? It would be great to limit the water coming in from a brief deceleration then back up to speed.
That's exactly what it does. Not got a pic yet (boat isnt here) but all it is is 2 layers of hypalon glued together to make it a bit stiffer and a 3rd strip across the top so there's a bit more surface area to glue it on with. The flap is about 2/3 of an inch bigger than the flooding hull hole-and all it's held on with is inflatable boat adhesive which seems to do the job admirably and doesnt mean drilling into the transom.Yeah I made it myself using a small roll of hypalon from our 'local' chandlers.

<edit>

just read your edit-if they make that much difference I'll have to get some now they are available over here. Do they make any difference to the pitching sideways at high speed as you hit waves?

Old 19 October 2005, 21:44   #7

I'm not sure about hitting waves broadside at speed. They do act as shock absorbers though. They really do even out the ride front to back and sideways. I would most definitely say they were the single best improvement to my boat over anything else I've done. I tinker alot with my boat too. Since adding the tabs, trimming the motor hasn't been necessary most of the time.

I think I'm going to add that rear flap though. That sounds CRACKING!!

BTW I'm using the 30lb actuator for the Nauticus tab but am curious what 40lbs would do. If too much force the tabs will actually drag the speed down though. They are adjustable a little too. Just an fyi.
Old 19 October 2005, 21:50   #8
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
I still haven't fitted my power trim/tilt yet-I've only just had the last of the bits arrive to finish the job and I've got a few odd bits I'll have to make to get it to the standard I want. That and a set of tabs.Think I'll try the 30lb actuators 1st then-though the guy that sells them here just does it by size/hp of boat. The guy selling them over here doesn't want much over the US price either which is really cool-we usually pay 4 times what you guys do. I could afford to run twin 150 2strokes on your gas prices...!

Old 19 October 2005, 22:01   #9

The tabs aren't really made of much. If they tried charging 4 times you could easily go out and fabricate a set for about the same as what we pay. Pretty much four brackets, bunch of self tappers, SS hinge bits, SS plates, and two gas struts. But of course buying all the bits pre fabbed is worth paying a few extra $$.

I hear ya on the gas prices. Its all relative I guess. I'm stilly trying to pinch every ounce of gas economy I can get. You can blame it on the optimizing engineer in me.

BTW I don't know if Iboats ships to the UK or what duties might be but I purchased my SS prop for $100 from them. If you could purchase one from the website you'd probably still make out like a bandit even with the shipping charges. Or just look on Ebay I guess. Alls I can say is for me the SS prop is the 2nd best improvement on my boat thus far.

I'm off to late lunch. Have a great evening.
Old 19 October 2005, 22:25   #10

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
BTW I don't know if Iboats ships to the UK

Sadly not, but fortunately have a relation in Florida who posted on a Michigan wheel prop for me
Old 20 October 2005, 15:23   #11

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
A good read boys, I'll be doing some testing off my own in the next few weeks,

I'm running a 15" alloy prop, trim tabs at 25degree angle with 40lb actuators, flooding hull, 44litres of fuel up front, at the moment, my yamaha 60 2stroke I believe is 112kgs

we should post our findings to find the ultimate SR4 setup - fastest speeds attained with props etc

there is a UK distributer of nauticus parts, (trim tabs) as I got some new actuators and a few other bits -

here -

http://www.streamlinedpropellers.co.uk/smarttabs.html
Old 20 October 2005, 18:07   #12
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
A good read boys, I'll be doing some testing off my own in the next few weeks,

I'm running a 15" alloy prop, trim tabs at 25degree angle with 40lb actuators, flooding hull, 44litres of fuel up front, at the moment, my yamaha 60 2stroke I believe is 112kgs

we should post our findings to find the ultimate SR4 setup - fastest speeds attained with props etc

there is a UK distributer of nauticus parts, (trim tabs) as I got some new actuators and a few other bits -

here -

http://www.streamlinedpropellers.co.uk/smarttabs.html

Cool-no price there for them though.

Might be fun to bet a few of us together with the sr4's and try racing...

Old 20 October 2005, 18:24   #13

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
I reckon you're looking around the £90 mark from memory from what the guy said when i was ordering the spares for mine, depending of the "lb" strength of the actuators themselves -

yeah we should hook up!
Old 20 October 2005, 19:02   #14

Ollyit,

How fast does your rib go? Have you tried going WOT? My boat starts to break loose at 38 mph. I have alot of stuff onboard though. I wonder if I need the 40lb actuators.

We should definitely post our findings / improvements. I'm sure there are a ton of 4 meter ribbers that could glean alot of good info from our findings.

Boatster
Old 20 October 2005, 19:42   #15

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Hi Boatster,

I can get 40 MPH out of mine. Not quite WOT, I'm a bit over propped with a 15". I can get it up to about 5300 revs.

I find that I loose control if the engine isn't trimmed right. Trim it up and the whole boat rapidly tips from left to right.

My mates boat with a Yam 2 Stroke 40 HP is a little faster and shows none of these characteristics.

His boat runs a lot lighter than mine. My engine weighs 115 Kgs and he doesn't have PTT etc.

I'm having slight running problems with mine at the moment but once these have been sorted out, during a winter service and warranty work, I aim to have my spare 11" pitch prop redone to 14" and then hopefully I can run at 5500 RPM.

My mate should be getting a GPS soon so then we'll know how fast he goes.

Regards Nick R.
Old 21 October 2005, 03:38   #16

Hi Nick,

Maybe I need to get a 15 pitch prop then. I thought I was doing pretty good at 38 mph. Well my rib gets a little unstable at 38 so I think I couldn't go any higher anyways. How is the hole shot with a 15" pitch? Or maybe I could find something along 14 1/2" pitch if it exists. Regardless my MW SS Raptor is working out pretty nicely.

I'm going to raise my motor one hole on the transom. Hopefully this will yield more results. I'll post my findings when I get there.

Boatster
Old 21 October 2005, 12:53   #17

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatster_sr4
Hi Nick,

I'm going to raise my motor one hole on the transom. Hopefully this will yield more results. I'll post my findings when I get there.

Boatster
A bit faster maybe, but risk of cavitation in turns and on hard accel from rest. Boat trim will become v important.
Old 21 October 2005, 17:17   #18
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
if you're getting 40mph I need to go up a pitch-my best so far is 35mph...

Hook up next summer? Mine's going to be in use during the winter but I can't see very many takers for a winter do.

Old 21 October 2005, 18:37   #19

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Hi Boatster,

I'm running a Yamaha High thrust engine. Its set up differently to a normal engine in that it has a larger gearbox, lower gearing and a massive propellor.

I think the prop fits the 80 HP engines. It sends up loads of spray at the back.

Its probably going to be March now before I can retest mine and my mates rigs but I'll try and keep you posted.

Regards Nick.
Old 04 November 2005, 23:13   #20

Just did another run this past weekend out to the islands, 26 miles. Before departed I had increased the pressure setting on my 30 lb Smart Tabs. During my return trip in following seas the bow was slamming much harder than before making the ride more unpleasant. I realize that my setting before hand was much better which was a relaxed setup for the 30 lb tabs. I just want to pass this observation to other SR4 members as I know a few of us use the Smart Tabs. I was considering getting 40 lb force tabs but I have changed my mind.

It would be interesting to hear what Ollyits experience is with handling in following seas. Heading seas doesn't seem to matter too much between settings.

Boatster