Old 23 August 2007, 15:58   #1

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Flushing with no tap

I will be taking my RIB on holiday for a week, and its unlikely i will have access to a tap, and the boat may be left moored at sea for several days.

I was wondering if its possible to connect the muffs to the engine, and put the pipework in a bucket of fresh water. Surely the outboard impellor will draw water at the rate it needs it?

I guess the problem may be the impellor will be drawing air before the water circulates to it...
Old 23 August 2007, 16:45   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
If its only for a few days why bother? Plenty of engines are kept on the water for extended periods with no apparent problems - I had my boat in the water for about 2 months when I first got it, before the "yeehah must go ribbing after work every night" factor wore off and the "HOW much fuel does this thing get through" factor kicked in, and I don't see any ill effects from that.

I don't think it takes long with a dry impeller to b*gger it up from what I have read... thankfully I have no first hand experience of this

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2007, 17:43   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
I will be taking my RIB on holiday for a week, and its unlikely i will have access to a tap, and the boat may be left moored at sea for several days.

I was wondering if its possible to connect the muffs to the engine, and put the pipework in a bucket of fresh water. Surely the outboard impellor will draw water at the rate it needs it?

I guess the problem may be the impellor will be drawing air before the water circulates to it...

Don't try it. You'll fry the impeller. It'll be fine for a week without flushing-just make sure the engine iis sprayed up with WD40 or Quicksilver Corrosion Guard under the cover before you go.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2007, 17:59   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Why not let the engine cool down after use for half an hour then go back and give it a quick run for 30 seconds with fresh cold seawater. That will flush it through.
Old 23 August 2007, 18:28   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
It really won't be a problem.

How many of the outboards you see morred up in harbours do you think get flushed regularly?

If the engine is being used during the week just enjoy it, and give it a good flush through when you get it home before its laid up for a while.

Nasher
Old 23 August 2007, 18:57   #6

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
I have the same issue & got some interesting suggestions from this forum a few months ago. As usual you ask 5 people & get 5 different views so here goes with what I decided.

My marine engineer mate with no vested interest in what I do said it was good practice to flush the ob through each time with fresh water or expect c 1/3 of its useful life - ie, it will last 3 times as long if flushed through each time. The odd day ok, but try & get it flushed through if you want to keep it for the long term (I do).

Anyway, looked at following options in abscence of tap:

25l container I got from a skip, washed it out & store full of fresh water when I fill up with fuel on way to slip. Any bigger is a bit heavy.

Above gives c1-2 mins flushing time, either do it manually or get a small submersible pump.

Manual - I bought a weedkiller container (16l I think) with pump, the sort you put on your back with a lance to spray the weeds. This cost 40e from garden centre & I took lance off & fitted a hose & side flush adaptor. I pump through the water by hand, get a few funny looks as apparently I look like a cross between Darth Vader & Ghostbusters. The pump action I do sitting on the sponson & the flow rate from the tell tale is good, ie, more than trickle. As the water has been stored in my car it is warm-hot (45 deg c) so should be more effective.

Auto - buy a Whale submersible pump & hook up to battery. Use same hose & side adaptor.

Some times I just cannot be bothered as it has been a long hot day but it is 3 mins at most. I reckon the salt on the boat & seats can wait but the damage is already being done inside the ob.

Hope it helps, can post a pic as we are out saturday.

Cheers all