Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 April 2012, 14:09   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 359
flushing outboard concern

hi
got myself some flush muffs to rinse through outboard after my first trip out on the sea. the ones i have are twin output" both sides" i do know when using the flush muffs you shouldnt put it into gear,so that i didnt do i just turned it over to run it, thing is no water was coming out the pee pipe,well just a few drops. i even pushed the muffs on tight so no water was escaping. striate away this tells me it could be a impeller issue, thing is i was out on the boat for a good few hours before and had no issues with the outboard" tho i didnt look at the pee pipe while i was out, surly if there was i problem engine alarm would have come on or engine would have cut out. oh its a 2001 50hp mariner 2 stroke. any advice welcomed
__________________

__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 14:12   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Edit read it wrong*****
Thought you said pumped when muffs pressed tight

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 14:18   #3
Member
 
xs 400's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 631
there are more experience ribbers than me , but heres my contribution.
  • while out constantly check the tell tale, if it stops.....stop
  • rinsing im not aware it makes any difference being in gear or not
  • if no tell tale with mufflers on (make sure over the intake!) quickly try removing pipe inside cowl to outlet ( ive had it where just the outlet was blocked, easily unblocked with a pin.
__________________
xs 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 15:52   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 359
hi xs400
i know you should always check the tell tale when your out,but honestly does everybody really check there's "come on hands up" it was my first time out on the sea this weekend gone, got to admit i didn't check it at all, far to much going on in front . Not sure myself but i was under the impression your not suppose to run the outboard in gear. but if you can i do that next time.
i did make sure the muffs were covering the main intake vents, and i pushed them on firmly on both sides to stop excess water and still with no luck. i will give it another try this weekend and try and see if there is a block in the outlet.
thank you for your input xs400, i will let you know the outcome :0)
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 16:06   #5
Member
 
ashbypower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,439
It is good practise to check and we teach that !! No need to flush with engine in gear and would advise AGAINST it !! you dont want that prop spinning around !!!
__________________
Brian C
APS Marine Centre
ashbypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 16:26   #6
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,416
RIBase
You say "twin output" muffs, is it possible the water is heading straight through the muffs?

I usually run the engine on a fast idle to bring it up to temperature so the thermostat has opened and flushed EVERYTHING out.
__________________
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 16:40   #7
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,985
Run engine with muffs off gear, at idle or fast idle speed only, if your engine has a water strainner under cav plate, you are loosing water pressure, seal with duct tape to flush, remove afterwords.
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 16:51   #8
Dhf
Member
 
Dhf's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
It is good practise to check and we teach that !! No need to flush with engine in gear and would advise AGAINST it !! you dont want that prop spinning around !!!
2nd that!
First thing I do before ignition is turn steering full lock one way or tuther then its easy to see from jocky seat if your pumping, Plus that prop spinnin in thin air deffo no no, One slip an it be like watching a saw film.
__________________
Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 17:23   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 359
hi ashbypower
i was under the impression your not to run the outboard in gear when flushing, think i might of got that from watching vids on you tube. my outboard control box does give off an alarm if it gets hot and shuts down,this has happened in the past as i was using my boat on canals , now that i will be taking it out on the sea i will keep a regular check on the tell tale, i havnt had the outboard long at all, and it was serviced before i bought it so to be honest i wasnt to concerned as im aware the should be a new impeller inside. anyway i will give the outboard a good check this weekend and check for blockages in the outlet,hopefully it is just a block.

thank you
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 17:30   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
2nd that!
First thing I do before ignition is turn steering full lock one way or tuther then its easy to see from jocky seat if your pumping, Plus that prop spinnin in thin air deffo no no, One slip an it be like watching a saw film.
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 17:33   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Run engine with muffs off gear, at idle or fast idle speed only, if your engine has a water strainner under cav plate, you are loosing water pressure, seal with duct tape to flush, remove afterwords.
how can i tell if i have a strainer,what am i looking for a small hole or something ?
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 17:43   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
You say "twin output" muffs, is it possible the water is heading straight through the muffs?

I usually run the engine on a fast idle to bring it up to temperature so the thermostat has opened and flushed EVERYTHING out.
yes a1an that's possible water could be going straight through. its the first time i have owned a 50hp,and this one does have a thermostat, i guessed that as soon as the engine switches on and is turning over, there should be water coming striate out the tell tale,are you saying i might have to wait till it reaches temperature
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 17:49   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,882
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
my outboard control box does give off an alarm if it gets hot and shuts down,this has happened in the past as i was using my boat on canals
Unless you got a poly bag round the lower unit,that suggests to me that you need an impeller change-it shouldn't overheat at low speeds!
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 17:55   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Unless you got a poly bag round the lower unit,that suggests to me that you need an impeller change-it shouldn't overheat at low speeds!
It shouldn't overheat period!

A worn impeller will almost always manifest as low-moderate speed overheating first. At high speeds there's enough water forced through/past the worn blades to keep the engine from giving an overheat alarm.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 18:24   #15
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
i know you should always check the tell tale when your out,but honestly does everybody really check there's "come on hands up"
Every time I start the motor, and occasionally while running (and especially often after running through kelp.)

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 18:30   #16
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkamelis View Post
how can i tell if i have a strainer,what am i looking for a small hole or something ?
Some motors (Honda 40/50, for instance) have the regular water intakes on the side of the leg, and third on the bottom of the anti-ventilation plate (it's a rectangular screen about the size of the side pickups.) If you just put the muffs on, the water tends to go in the side intakes, and out the third pickup. A piece of duct tape over the third screen prevents that leakage. Lots of warnings about removing the tape afterwards, but I forgot several times, and never noticed the difference.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 00:50   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,882
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
It shouldn't overheat period!

A worn impeller will almost always manifest as low-moderate speed overheating first. At high speeds there's enough water forced through/past the worn blades to keep the engine from giving an overheat alarm.
Of course it shouldn't overheat period, but as you said a worn impeller will show at low to moderate speeds 1st.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 11:06   #18
Member
 
xs 400's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs 400 View Post
there are more experience ribbers than me , but heres my contribution.
  • while out constantly check the tell tale, if it stops.....stop
  • rinsing im not aware it makes any difference being in gear or not
  • if no tell tale with mufflers on (make sure over the intake!) quickly try removing pipe inside cowl to outlet ( ive had it where just the outlet was blocked, easily unblocked with a pin.
hi I try to look regular, after my brother blew his yamaha up! what caused it?......simple a tesco plastic bag wrapped around the leg, and blocked the intake.............simples
__________________
xs 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 13:45   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 359
hi
got plenty of feed back on this one, i have plenty to check and will be abit more observant when out next, hope my impeller hasn't gone, will try flushing this weekend. will post the outcome.

thank you very much to all that replied
__________________
arkamelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2013, 20:43   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: IoW
Length: 8m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3
salt blockage

If the tell-tale s coming out there is no need to put the engineein gear as water is passing throught he water pump/impellor and everywhere else in the engine. Sound to me you have a salt blockage. I use Blue-thru which gets rid of all the salt and keeps my cooling channels clear.
__________________

__________________
cliffrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.