Old 26 February 2008, 09:44   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Floppy prop

Got a slight problem I noticed after last time out after a quick "walk around and shake/prod everything" inspection.

I fitted a new prop about six months ago after an argument with some passing rocks during recovery onto the trailer, and torqued the prop nut to the correct value (not that tight - I think it was 14nm or something but that is what the workshop manual says) and fitted the split pin.

Now there is about 2mm of slack i.e. you can slide the prop back and forth on the splines before it hits the washer underneath the nut. The split pin is still in there so there is no way the nut could come loose.

Is this likely to be a sign of an impending failure of "something" (what holds the shaft into the lower unit?) - I can't see any way it can have come loose as the split pin is still there. Haven't taken it off yet for a look - but the shaft spins smoothly and has very slight play in it, which it has always had since I got the boat - done 110hrs since then.

Just wondering if anybody else has a plausible explanation for this as I can't think of one offhand

Ta

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 10:05   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I'd take it off and have a look, it could be as simple as it wasn't seated correctly when you replaced it, but takeing it off should reveal some more clues.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 12:39   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
The washer and shaft have a taper fit unless it's the new fat shaft Mercury fitting - over time they can settle down a bit, either that or they get stuck on so it's a b1tch to get them off! Take everything off, inspect the washer for cracks and put it all back together again if it's all ok.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 15:11   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Thanks.

Took it off for a look and nothing obviously wrong - as Cookee said the thrust washer that the prop pushes against is a taper fit on the 115GL but there are no signs of any problems and no obvious cause - maybe there was just a bit of sh&% in the taper when I installed it, though I had just cleaned it up and put some waterproof grease on so it should have been clean enough. Put it back on and it torqued up OK and now appears tight, will check the aux over though, just in case it falls off next time out! Whatever retains the shaft still has some back and forth play (about 3mm I guess) but there is no side to side play at all in the bearing, and it spins smoothly, so I don't know what to think. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote