Old 16 August 2005, 05:41   #1
plk

Town: Alderney
Make: Scorpion
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x200 outboard
Fitch Ram - Gearbox probs

I'm having problems with one if the engines on the rib. When mooring yesterday after a reasonable run, I put the starboard engine in reverse and it revved to max, so I quickly found neutral and moored using the port engine.

When I tried to leave the mooring later, I found that the starboard engine was stuck in reverse and could not be put in neutral, but it still started despite this. When I tried to go forward however, after a few attempts it eventually went to neutral and now won't go back into gear at all.

Is this likely to be a broken cable or am I looking at something more.

Anyone know if I can manually change gear? The problem is, on one engine I was only getting 6knts, nearest Evinrude repair is in Guernsey it would take all day to get there.
Old 16 August 2005, 11:23   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
plk
Sounds like a broken cable to me.
Why dont you get Jake Hamon to have a quick look at it?
No need to go to Guernsey yet.
Old 16 August 2005, 11:38   #3
plk

I've had a good look this morning and it isn't the cable..it's something internal so it has got to go back to Guernsey.

By the time I get there I'll probably look like one of those cartoon desert island castaways....long beard threadbare clothes, talking to myself.

I'm going to need something to catch rainwater for drinking as well i guess.
Old 16 August 2005, 13:32   #4

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
this is probably too late, but Powertech at Northney maybe able to help
Old 16 August 2005, 15:26   #5

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by plk
I've had a good look this morning and it isn't the cable..it's something internal so it has got to go back to Guernsey.
Don't go there, come to Jersey, some nice chaps down here who know their 'Rudes' and know Seahound too!
Old 17 August 2005, 06:38   #6
plk

Jersey's even further, plus I'd assumed I'd have to go back to the place where they were fitted as they are still under warranty. From what I've been told, Jersey may be a better idea. Any contacts? I'm trying to get the boat looked at this week, because there are only some 6-8 weeks of season left.

I've been pondering the problem and had another look at the engine. I'm hopeful that it isn't any major failure. It all when wrong at 1000rpm, and thinking back, the throttle lever went stiff as I put it into reverse. So it feels more like a link or pin something had bent, sheared or come loose.

If it was a major gearbox failure then surely it would have gone when I was doing 40knts over the 15mile trip....and would have been slightly more dramatic.
Old 17 August 2005, 07:45   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Does 200 hp only give you 6 knots on a 9m rib okay I know the prop is the wrong size for single engine use but I would have thought more than this.

Pete
Old 17 August 2005, 11:20   #8

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by plk
Jersey's even further, plus I'd assumed I'd have to go back to the place where they were fitted as they are still under warranty. From what I've been told, Jersey may be a better idea. Any contacts? I'm trying to get the boat looked at this week,
You do not have to take the boat/engine's back from where they were purchased, any dealer would be able to sort you out. Give Graeme Tanguy a call on 01534 721702, tell him Charles put you in touch.
Old 17 August 2005, 20:47   #9

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
There is a small defect in the helm unit on the dual set up Fichts, the cable ends connect to almumnim eyes at the helm unit, the cable has a tendancy to rub of the eyes and they snap off, the soultion is to connect to the lower eye on the helm unit and file the other one off

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2005, 05:55   #10
plk

Thanks everyone, I'm taking her down to Guernsey in a few minutes. The tide is right this morning so I should get 9 or 10knts which will help the journey. I've had an offer of a lift back, and being realistic, Jersey is just to far.

6knts is unfortunately all it will do on one engine. Anything over 2000rpm causes extreme cavitation. When I left Dielette the other night, I tried to cruise at 3500 revs giving 9knts, but the engine kept revving to 6000-7000 thousand and after less than ten minutes I had temperature warning lights.
Sitting at 2000 rpm and steering constantly to reduce cavitation, I can just get to 7knts.