Old 16 January 2019, 11:45   #1

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
EXOL TCW3 oil

Anyone else use this brand marine oil?

I have just used up my first 5litres in my Mid-Nineties 90hp Tohatsu and interested to see other peoples opinions before I order anymore.

Its 1/2 the price of Quicksilver (more if you buy in bulk) and haven't had any issues but part of me always wants to buy the best quality oil....
Old 16 January 2019, 18:25   #2

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwarner View Post
Anyone else use this brand marine oil?

I have just used up my first 5litres in my Mid-Nineties 90hp Tohatsu and interested to see other peoples opinions before I order anymore.

Its 1/2 the price of Quicksilver (more if you buy in bulk) and haven't had any issues but part of me always wants to buy the best quality oil....
I have just bought a 20l drum for my dive club boat, which is powered by a yam 115 2 st hence needing the oil. Branded oil is now just silly money and difficult to get, probably as less and less is sold because of 4 strokes. I also know another dive club who is using it.

Cant think it's not ok as it meets the spec and its half the price. We can use a lot and last time we had the boat away for a week used 5 ltr of oil. Och!

Just my thoughts,

David
Old 16 January 2019, 18:41   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Yep fine. I used 2 x 25 litre drums of this on a late 90's merc 90 HP 3 cylinder oil injection. No issues with it at all. Engine still running fine now with new owner.
Old 16 January 2019, 21:33   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Exol are a massive oil company supplying pretty well every area of transport and commerce. They are trusted in the motor industry and many other areas.

As far as I'm concerned with decades of motor trade experience the correct spec for the engine is the main priority and the brand is very much a personal thing. In our cars I use whichever of the major brands (I'd include Exol in that) is a decent buy at the time and meets the spec.

For my sub 20hp outboards as they use so little oil I go against my own advice and use their own brand oils. If I was using more oil I'd be happy to swap to something like Exol.
Old 31 January 2019, 16:23   #5

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
thanks for the advice, I have just had delivery of another 5l which should do me for the most of the season.

For anyone interested they are selling off the last of the "Un-dyed" TCW3 oil for £19.99 delivered for 5L. Personally I like the blue colour as I like to see the oil in the pipes in case of air locks etc and is £23 delivered.

Buying in bulk works out even cheaper but considering Quicksilver is circa £40 for 4L this is a substantial saving....as long as my engine doesn't implode!