Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 21 October 2014, 10:50   #1

Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Ex RNLI Mariner 40 outboard- is it inversion proof?

Hello,
Tried to find it but failed. Bought a/m engine some time ago. It is said to be ex RNLI. Can anyone tall me how to check whether it's been fitted with the system? (attaching photos if that's any help)

Thanks
Old 21 October 2014, 12:34   #2

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
From the pictures - same perspective - it look as if the air box is standard - therefore not immersion proof.

It's easy to identify RNLI immersion proofing as it will clearly have "home made" modifications to the air box plus other solenoids, tilt switches and fuel valves etc
Old 21 October 2014, 12:52   #3

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
put a picture of the other side on this site.I see it has the brackets for remote controll, not fitted on a R.N.L.I.40 hp outboard of that period.What is the serial number is it a long shaft? If it is it is not an ex R.N.L.I. obm.
Old 21 October 2014, 12:53   #4

Thanks, however a bit disappointed... I thought the main change would be to carburetors?
Old 21 October 2014, 13:00   #5

What we did to the carbs for the R.N.L.I. was took out the carburetor bowl drain plugs and put a fitting in that had a hose to a tap on the side of the bottom tray that was then connected to ,two spigots out to the water.If you turned over what happened was the taps were opened and clean fuel put into the carbs,the sparkplugs were removed and the obm pulled over to get rid od the water inside the power head, then two new clean dry spark plugs fitted, the new spark plugs were in the tool kit which wa in a wallet in a tool box holder under the top cowl.
Old 21 October 2014, 16:20   #6

It's a standard shaft (i think). The remotes might have been fitted later it was used on speedboat with remotes afterwards. I will check the serial no today. If it is not fitted with a/m can it be retrofitted and how much would it cost (just curious).
Thanks
Old 21 October 2014, 18:17   #7

just look on the serial number plate it should be(if my memory is correct) 639 S/L then a number,I dont belive it is/was an ex R.N.L.I. obm but I would like a picture of the port side of the obm to either verify or agree.The cost I now have no idea sorry.
Old 21 October 2014, 20:57   #8

Couldnt get to garage today, but found serial no: 40M 6E9 S 019816 (that corresponds to what you remember doesnt it? found these pictures as well:

I checkued seller's auction, he mentions E.P Barrus Ltd U.K. as RNLI supplier.
Old 21 October 2014, 21:55   #9

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polspear View Post
I checkued seller's auction, he mentions E.P Barrus Ltd U.K. as RNLI supplier.
As said that is a standard engine

E.P. Barrus are UK importers for Mercury, Mariner and Yanmar so are "suppliers" to a lot of organisations
Old 22 October 2014, 08:01   #10

That is an ex R.N.L.I. obm, it left the w/shops in 1994, where the four grommets are was where the drain taps were fitted ,
M R 40 = motor 40hp
12-94 = the twelth obm of the 1994 batch,
The R.N.L.I. went to the American 40hp, twin cyl, single carb, when your obm was no longer made.
Old 22 October 2014, 09:51   #11

Thanks, as i read the seller's description again carefully it says the engine was used by " inshore rescue, Midlands area, never used in seawater". That would explain why it is not fitted with inversion proof system, I imagine they are fitted only in units going to sea. Still hope it is a good engine and will prove its value (wasn't cheap and I didn't negotiate at all it seemed to be in very good condition).
Old 22 October 2014, 13:51   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've never seen an RNLI inversion proof system in private hands-IIRC they remove them all when they sell the motor on as they are very expensive.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 14:19   #13

all the emersion kit is, is a hose connection in the carb drain plug hole, a hose pipe from the carb to a tap, then out through the bottom tray.There was an instruction sheet inside the top cowl,but the obmswere put back to standard when they came back to barrus, thats why you can see grommets in the bottom cowl.Myself and the service manager used to do the finall inspection on those R.N.L.I. obms, before they were boxed, they are a bloody good obm, ive always liked them, they can be a bit fiddly to set up though.use it and enjoy it.
Old 22 October 2014, 15:26   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polspear View Post
Thanks, as i read the seller's description again carefully it says the engine was used by " inshore rescue, Midlands area, never used in seawater". That would explain why it is not fitted with inversion proof system, I imagine they are fitted only in units going to sea.).

Cant think of any inland lifeboat stations in the Midlands , south broads would have been the nearest though its now closed ,
Only rnli boats in the Midlands with a 40 hp could be a Publicity D Class but the engines are Dummy ones ( powerhead removed ) .
As well as expense of the inversion parts another reason why the institution removes them as well as other kit is in private ownership strict maintenance routines are often not adhered to possibly leading to failure.
Old 23 October 2014, 07:53   #15

As I said above ,we at barrus used to remove all the extra stuff that the R.N.L.I. had fitted,and fitted an extension to make them a long shaft before selling them on to the dealer net work. Polspears obm must have been a special order as the leg wasnt extended. You used to be able to buy the old inshore boats from the R.N.L.I. at the end of the boats service life.
Old 23 October 2014, 08:45   #16

Some of the early inversion proofing with the old Evinrude outboards (pre mariner ) & before cd ignition came out had Flaps inside the exhaust leg & on the air intake ect , a lot was trying to keeping water out of the engine hood with points ignition .
Old 23 October 2014, 14:59   #17

m chappelow you are right I remember looking at them when I went to Cowes, to see the (gents?) in the outboard shop, they also said that they designed and built them for the Evinrude, they had enough spare for them to last years.
Old 26 October 2014, 08:03   #18

Dont forget as well as engine inversion proofing the fuel tank will also need to be inversion proofed too for it to be of any use .
Once the boats upside down If the fuel tank gets dunked cold water contraction of the petrol will often cause water to be sucked into the fuel tank via the breather pipe or vent screw,
Flexible fuel bladders don't need or have breather vents & so are not prone to this as once the filler cap gets screwed down it is in effect a sealed unit .
Old 26 October 2014, 16:03   #19

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
Thanks Mchappelow, great point mate.

Cheers
Old 11 November 2014, 20:21   #20

Since I presented the engine and i know there are some professionals among you... I found few threads about it and some info but perhaps you could clarify it to me... How do I connect battery to charge in this engine?
I know there is a coil in flywheel, two green cables going out. I checked and I dont have any voltage there, does t mean the coil is busted? As I understand i cannot connect these cables directly to battery, it must go through rectifier (?) Is that the thingy:

How to connect.
If you know of a thread with good description let me know
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks