Old 22 July 2010, 22:40   #1

Length: 4m +
Evinrude Etec 40 hp Servicing

I've been quoted £400 pounds for the 3 year service on my Evinrude etec. How does this compare to what other people have paid. Does anyone know any other places in North Wales who service these outboards?
Old 23 July 2010, 09:17   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by northseatiger View Post
I've been quoted £400 pounds for the 3 year service on my Evinrude etec. How does this compare to what other people have paid. Does anyone know any other places in North Wales who service these outboards?
£400 does sound expensive, but then anything marine related these days seems to be like a license to print money. Do you know what's included as part of the service schedule apart from the obligatory impeller change?
Old 23 July 2010, 19:52   #3

I'll ask the question. I was under the impression that etec's were cheap to service. I'd hate to think how much a 4 stroke is.
Old 23 July 2010, 23:28   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
I'll ask the question. I was under the impression that etec's were cheap to service. I'd hate to think how much a 4 stroke is.
Who's to say (other than BRP) that 4 strokes cost more to maintain than an etec? Perhaps someone here who had purchased a new Honda BF40/50 could give us some idea of what their maintenance & service costs were after 3 years of service.

What all needs to be done as part of this servicing? That cost does seem pretty outrageous if this all part of routine maintenance, and does not include any reparation of damage.
Old 25 July 2010, 10:07   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
That is expensive.

All you have to do on an E-tec at the 300 hour service is...

- Change the spark plugs (remember to index them)
- Change the waterpump impellor
- Change Gearbox oil
- Change the Thermostat.

These guys sell a service kit on ebay that has all the parts needed and if you are out of warranty period I would DIY.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 21:26   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If out of warranty and doing the service by myself, would only change spark plugs/tail oil, take thermostar out, inspect, clean, change, whatever needs. If still peeing properly, leave impeller as it is, this item do last much longer than 300 hours if flushing your engine frecuently after use. If under warranty, just take the wallet out along with a gun and ask for a decent discount!!

That huge cost must include definitely a engine scan, as those 2 stroke engines use ECU and lots of sensors to perform as expected.

Happy Boating
Old 27 July 2010, 12:42   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If still peeing properly, leave impeller as it is, this item do last much longer than 300 hours if flushing your engine frecuently after use.
I would recommend replacing the impeller at least every 2 years whether it looks like it needs to be replaced or not. If I use my boat heavily over a summer, the impeller (yamaha 40 2s) is quite worn by the end of the summer (seeing only freshwater), and due for replacement before the next season begins. The 60-80 pounds it may (should) cost to get the impeller replaced is easily justified considering the potential to destroy your engine because of impeller failure.
Old 27 July 2010, 16:58   #8

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
This 300 hours or each 2 years use is a normal preventive maintenance tech procedure, as different brand impellerers (rubbers used) are not the same, some will wear faster and some will last longer. According to my experience Evinrude's uses thicker rubber blades which wears and deforms fast. Tohatsu uses thinner rubber blades compared to and lasts 4 times of the Evi.

A matter to inspect an Etec impeller and see it's wear if doing the job by yourself. If being made by the dealer just have it changed as it would cost same hand labor fee to inspect old one or change for new including warranty issues involved.

Happy Boating