Old 12 October 2009, 21:11   #1

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Evinrude Etec 25/30 HP

Hi, Was wondering if any of you guys have in use a Evinrude 25/30 HP 2 strokes/Etec engine, already on the market to give tough competition to standard 2 & 4 strokes engines, a superb new efficient technology as stated in their propaganda. If so, how does the engine performs, is it a reliable engine ? A lot more heavier than a standard 2 strokes, in the range of 25/30-4 strokes engines weights.

Happy Boating
Old 16 October 2009, 05:27   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I'd also be interested in hearing from actual users about the engines. I'm starting to get tired of inhaling the fumes from my 2 stroke carb'd yamaha 40. Additionally I need something that will give better fuel economy. From what I've heard, the 4 stroke 40 hps that are currently out there are pretty slow compared to my yamaha. Not sure if the ETEC 30 would have enough power for my needs though. One local dealer here figures that the ETEC 30 should provide just as much propulsion as my 40 hp yamaha, which sounds extremely optimistic to me. The rope start-manual tilt & trim version of the ETEC 30 weighs only 146 lbs.

If the 50 hp Tohatsu TLDI were able to operate without needing a battery I'd probably go with that. It is still a reasonable weight (~190 lbs), but the battery requirement means it is out of the question.

The other engine I'm considering is the 65 hp ETEC Commercial, which is also a rope (only) start & manual tilt & trim motor. But it is a heavy beast at 235 lbs, and considerably more expensive than the previous 2.
Old 16 October 2009, 10:10   #3
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Cant comment on the 25/30 but iv recently been using a rib with a 50 on and have previously used ribs with twin 200hp and one thing I find with the fumes from etecs is it makes me feel strange I get a tight chest and feel quite uncomfortable. Im not sure how it effects other people. Strange thing is I can stand next to a smokey 2 stroke all day.

James
Old 16 October 2009, 14:39   #4

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by J S View Post
Cant comment on the 25/30 but iv recently been using a rib with a 50 on and have previously used ribs with twin 200hp and one thing I find with the fumes from etecs is it makes me feel strange I get a tight chest and feel quite uncomfortable. Im not sure how it effects other people. Strange thing is I can stand next to a smokey 2 stroke all day.

James
That is something that I certainly would not have expected! Very interesting. Am curious if other ETEC users have noticed the same thing.
Old 16 October 2009, 19:27   #5

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Several dealers have mentioned the fumes not being to every ones "taste". I guess its the fully synthetic oil that does it. Smells like any other 2 stroke when run on normal tcw3 oil I would imagine.
Old 31 October 2009, 09:41   #6

Town: Adelaide
Boat name: Blowfish
Make: Aakron
Engine: 25HP outboard
25 HP E-Tec

I run a 25HP etec short shaft, manual start and trim/tilt on my 4.2m sib, haven't noticed any funny smells, just less smoke than a normal 2-stroke. Starts one pull every time, gets the boat on plane very quickly, running 4 people (about 400kg).
No idea what the top speed is, does not feel very fast, just pulls like hell from start.
Old 07 November 2009, 16:33   #7

Town: Zagreb
Engine: outboard
problems with evinrude e-tec 30

hi guys,i see u have a evinrude e-tec 25,i own the same with all manual(tilt,start)and I just got some problems,my engine stop on wather and it won"t start,he is brand new and i don"t know what to do,please help,I can"t pul the rope at all...
Old 07 November 2009, 16:42   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanko View Post
hi guys,i see u have a evinrude e-tec 25,i own the same with all manual(tilt,start)and I just got some problems,my engine stop on wather and it won"t start,he is brand new and i don"t know what to do,please help,I can"t pul the rope at all...
ivanko - that doesn't sound good. I guess the first thing you need to do is work out if the engine is seized () or its just the pull start mechanism thats jammed (). One obvious, very simple, thing to check is that the engine is properly in neutral - as the "start in gear protection" probably stops the pull cord spinning (I don't know your specific engine)
Old 07 November 2009, 19:37   #9

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanko View Post
Hola Ivanko,

Has this problem started from brand new, after break in period ? Will asume you have put 2 strokes oil in the engine internal tank, right ?

Happy Boating