Old 12 September 2007, 09:11   #1

Town: Worcester
Boat name: Millmoor
Make: Picton
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 135 hp
Evinrude e tec 150

Having had our o/b snapped of the back of our cobra rib (hitting a submerged something at 30 knots) and finalising our insurance claim we have purchased an Evinrude e tec 150.

We intend fitting this ourselves (maybe a mistake but we'll see).

Question: I've searched the internet for manuals/data on fitting these things and haven't had any success so....

Can the forum point me in the right direction please?
Old 12 September 2007, 09:20   #2

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
i think you might want a dealer to do it

as there are things you need the palm / laptop for . throttle positon sensor and a few other things to set it up right . also presumbly its still got some warranty on it . wich is void if evinrude dont fit it ????

hope this helps
Old 12 September 2007, 09:56   #3

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA View Post
as there are things you need the palm / laptop for . throttle positon sensor and a few other things to set it up right . also presumbly its still got some warranty on it . wich is void if evinrude dont fit it ????

hope this helps
I thought it was only void if a dealer didn't PDI it - actually fitting the engine to the transom and rigging the control box yourself, prior to getting a PDI from a dealer (who should also double-check your rigging) should be OK.
Old 12 September 2007, 10:53   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
I thought it was only void if a dealer didn't PDI it - actually fitting the engine to the transom and rigging the control box yourself, prior to getting a PDI from a dealer (who should also double-check your rigging) should be OK.

This is certainly the case with Tohatsu. May be different for other manufacturers though.

A friend mounted and set up his brand new Tohatsu 90hp and then took it to a dealer to PDI it. Obviously saved the cost of setting it up, at the risk of paying to have things changed that the dealer didn't like, though that didn't happen in this case.

Nasher.
Old 12 September 2007, 10:59   #5

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
liabilaty

nowadays will a dealer sign off someone elses work . i wouldnt !!!

and youll find the majority definatly wont

part of a pdi putts the liabilaty on the dealer. if it goes wrong they are the first in the line
Old 12 September 2007, 13:27   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
One thought a 8+m with a 150HP is a tad under powered is it not?
Old 12 September 2007, 15:51   #7

Couple of points...

The RIB is a 6m one, I pressed the wrong buttons when putting the detail in my profile and just seen means of changing it. Yes it would be underpowered but not on a 6m.

I've spoken with the Evinrude people and there should be no problem in fitting the bits on and then having a dealer do a PDI plus electronic set up, warranty then gets transferred... dealer has agreed by the way before anyone jumps in on that.

So going back to original query.... any ideas anyone?
Old 12 September 2007, 20:03   #8

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
I've just been on evinrude site and found the user guide in pdf but no installation one. for my honda it also had a installation pdf and also for the user instructions on a DVD. Do evinrude not do this - have you checked? sometimes i even see the honda ones on ebay!
Old 13 September 2007, 07:30   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Assuming you have a way to hoist the engine and the necessary engine lifting eyes to attach its all pretty much common sense the main things are going to be:

1 - Hole pattern on the transom - hopefully this should be roughly the same as your old engine otherwise you may have to drill more holes which means filling the old holes and being careful not to weaken the transom. Always use plenty of Sikaflex to seal the transom holes as you bolt the engine on.

2 - Setting the engine height - Ideally the Cavitiation plate (plate above the prop with trim tab on) should be an inch or two above the bottom of the transom.

3 - Wiring loom - This can be a real fiddly job if you are having to drag it all through underdeck trunking. best done whilst the control cables and other stuff such as oil lines, fuel lines, battery cables are not fitted so as to have as much space as possible to try and drag through all those awkward plugs attached to the loom.

4 - Instruments - Depending on what you have, I have a tacho, speedo, trim guage and battery voltage this may mean drilling some new holes in your console which is always a bit nerve racking. A good hole saw set is essential

5 - Battery Cables - Make sure your exisiting ones are good and upto the job as now would be a good time to replace them. Make sure they are going to reach the necessary point on the engine as this differs from engine to engine.

6 - Control Cables (Gear and throttle) These can be a nightmare to drag through the trunking however if you do them one at a time and generally feed them from the back you'll be ok. It is important to make sure you have a 30cm wide loop at the back where the cables exits the cable gland then go into the engine then make sure the run to the controls is as straight as possible with no sudden bends.

7 - You'll need to locate the oil tank somewhere accessible if your previous engine did not have one. them run the oil pipe down the trunk. Your exisitng fuel line should be checked if you are going to re use it and any inline filter changed.

8 - Old Fuel, if your boat has been stood for more than 3 months I would consider fresh fuel just in case.

Bit of a brain dump however if I was fitting an engine this is what my list would look like.

Chris
Old 13 September 2007, 18:41   #10

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I fitted mine to my boat 6 meter shakespeare it absolutely is jet propelled.We lifted it on by hand.But never again(by hand )I would borrow the proper eye that screws in the fly wheel its a US thread,and use an engine hoist.Good luck .I didnt have any problems and have my local dealer PDI it
Old 14 September 2007, 13:26   #11

Many thanks one and all, fingers crossed this weekend and a trial out of the Hamble a week Sunday.