Old 14 June 2015, 21:10   #1

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Evinrude 70 fuel pump

Back to the ancient Evinrude 70. I had a burst of enthusiasm yesterday and so stripped the carbs and fuel pump. All were clean as you like, but a few of the fuel pipes a bit lose on the in side, so I put proper clips on instead of cable ties. It worked a bit better, but would still accellerate and then run out of beans, but pumping the priming bulb enthusiastically would make it run steadily. That sounds definitely like a fuel pump.

The guts of the pump looked OK, except for a pin-hole in the casting on the crankcase side. The pin hole has probably been there for ever and probably makes no difference...

I could either refurbish the pump, at about £30 parts, buy a new pump at about £70, or bin it and buy an electric pump for between £10 and £30. I am pretty tempted by the electric option as I get a new guaranteed pump that is easy to test. Do you think replacing the pump with an electric one is daft? There are plenty of electric pumps that are desiged for use with carbs and run at about 4psi.

All the best

David
Old 14 June 2015, 21:20   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Have you checked the diaphragm in the fuel pump for pinholes? Also, check that the hose from the crankcase isn't blocked with crud.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 08:38   #3

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
There is a slight leak from the crankcase side of the pump. I think it is through a chasing flaw rather than the diaphragm, but it is hard to be certain. I didn't think to check the crankcase pipe for blockage - thanks for that tip.

All the best

David