Click Here to Login

Old 09 May 2011, 09:39   #1

Boat name: Searider 4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 50hp
Evinrude 50hp 2s exRNLI - tilt?

Hi all,

I've got one of these on the back of my new SR4, a mid-'90s engine. I'm new to engines and seem to be having a massive blond moment - I can't work out how to tilt it! It's currently at about half tilt.

I can see what looks like a big hydraulic cylinder where it mounts to the transom, but am not sure if this would be electronic tilt or a gas assist. If it is hydraulic, is there a way I can tilt it without having to use the battery?

Does anyone know more about this type of engine or have any general hints?

Thanks.
Old 09 May 2011, 09:55   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Next to the cylinder there should be an electric motor with a couple of wires coming out of it. On the other side you should see a reservoir for the hydro oil. I'm generalising here, haven't looked at a small Evinrude for a long time.

You could connect a battery to the wires coming out the motor, both positive, 1 for up, 1 for down, earth to the engine block.

Or much easier there should be a big screw located around the reservoir housing (not the fill/level plug) which operates a release valve. Loosening the screw will allow you to manually let the engine up or down, tighten the screw to lock it in the desired position.

As I said, I don't know 'rudes very well, I could be just making a t*t of myself
Old 09 May 2011, 11:08   #3

Town: Telford
Boat name: ?
Make: Searider
might be the manual hydraulic tilt assist system, standing in front of the engine on the right hand side should be a black lever mounted on the side of the saddle, move it upright and then the engine should move up or down with a little bit of pushing / pulling, one major problem was that the wire connection point ( bit like a brake cable on a pushbike ) used to snap off where it joined onto the hydraulic cylinder under the clamp, and at approx £750 to replace ......... most were either replaced with a power PTT system or converted to manual heave ho type, post a few pictures it might help.
Old 10 May 2011, 10:48   #4

Ok, thanks very much for the responses.

I think it looks like the bike brake type cable is still intact. there is a lever on the starboard side of the engine/bracket. so will one way be lock, the other way free?

There's also a lever on the port side which seems very stiff. I'm not sure what that's for.

Sorry, no pictures yet - broken camera :s - but i'll have a go!

Cheers
Old 10 May 2011, 11:58   #5

Town: Telford
Boat name: ?
Make: Searider
hi, the big lever has 3 positions, all the way forward, upright and all the way back, the small one on the opposite side is just for locking up the leg when it is tilted. So move the big one up to the middle position and then the engine should lift up with a bit of pulling on the back of the cowl, then to move the small lever opposite so that it rotates over to release the lock, then move the big lever all the way backand the engine should tilt down ( think i got it right - been a few years since i had one of those.... LOL ) If however the engine does not move, then at the bottom of the cylinder is a big screw, undo it and the piston will force its way down , but have a container ready to catch fluid, some people drain all the fluid out and leave the bung out, and then cleverly drill the bracket so that a bolt can be put through with the leg permantly down, as mentioned before the cylinders are reknown for going FUBAR, and at £750 ish a pop engines not worth it, so fix permantly down ( guess who had to do that once.......)
Old 11 May 2011, 12:08   #6

Ok cheers Wolfie, I'll give that a go!