Very useful.
Old 24 January 2011, 21:16   #22

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I am not sure what they would have done to mix and match the 175 with the 200HO. They are two very different engines.
I'm also not sure how it's possible but apparently that's what happened. For the record, I only skipper the boat on a freelance basis and have nothing to do with the running of the centre. I am only relaying what I've been told from the centre staff.

I did wonder how/why they'd taken parts from older engines and when enquired further, struggled to get an accurate or concise answer.

Quote:
If they are 200HO's then they will have proper telltales as opposed to the low pressure waterstreams out of the small block version. It might be worth checking the telltale is not partially blocked on the engine with a higher pressure stream. Use a paperclip to see if there is any debris in teh nozzle.
Will do, thanks.

Quote:
Otherwise if you want the software that will allow you to connect a laptop to the engine you can find it here for download,

http://cid-41ff5d8a14ba2c84.office.l...lic/EV%20Diags

you need to download both files and run the 2012 one first followed by the update to get the latest version.

You will then need a cable to connet a laptop to the engine. which you can find here... eBay

This will allow you to run reports like the one below that I took from my engine. As you can see it will give you a detailed history of the engine and the temperatures it has been running at.
Thanks a lot for that, it's really useful. I'll give it a go.

Quote:
If there is nothing untoward then seeing as you are not keen to get a tech to check the engine over I would run it as is and keep an eye on things.
Not my decision unfortunately. I think it will be looked at in due course, but was trying to get an idea of the problem so I was able to give the mechanic a heads up about the issue before he arrived at the boat.

Thanks a lot again for your help Chris, very much appreciated.

J.
Old 25 January 2011, 06:49   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny2488 View Post
for the record, i only skipper the boat on a freelance basis and am very unlikely to be asked to go back ever again
Fixed for you
Old 25 January 2011, 10:20   #24

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Fixed for you
Believe it or not, they are surprisingly accepting of my opinions/recommendations towards their boat maintenance. Furthermore, the other skippers treat the boat like s**t and don't get asked back so I get first dibs on the work.

Good times.