Old 02 January 2009, 02:34   #1

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F15
evinrude 115 on a 5.4SR

looking at a Evinrude 115 which weights in at 300#s, I haul a lot of weight, usually 3-4 divers and gear with two sets of tanks. Think this would be good motor size or just stick with the standered 90. I would just change stickers or get a different hood for insurance. How would my fuel economy be between the two when loaded lightly if I kep my foot out of it and dont run it at WOT a lot? thanks stan..
Old 02 January 2009, 02:45   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by no excuses View Post
looking at a Evinrude 115 which weights in at 300#s, I haul a lot of weight, usually 3-4 divers and gear with two sets of tanks. Think this would be good motor size or just stick with the standered 90. I would just change stickers or get a different hood for insurance. How would my fuel economy be between the two when loaded lightly if I kep my foot out of it and dont run it at WOT a lot? thanks stan..
For what it's worth it's probably quite a nice engine to have on there (I quite fancy a 115 Opti on mine)-but if you think you can pull the wool over the authorities eyes you're sorely mistaken as the HP is linked to the engine number and on the transom clamp too.

I wouldn't do it in the USA. If you have any kind of accident you'll be able to drive a car through the hole in your wallet after the shafting it'll get. Stick with a 90.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2009, 04:06   #3

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Sugar Mama
Make: Avon
Engine: Yamaha 115 4-stroke
Be careful about too much weight on the back of a RIB. My Avon Adventurer 5.6D's 115 Yami cratered at 8 years, perhaps because a long shaft on that leads to the oil pan being in the water a fair amount-exposing it to more corrosion than usual.

A 90 for a Searider is plenty, I'd think. We talked about this on NWDC, the Searider is a smaller boat than my Adventurer 5.6D.

If you want more punch to get on plane, think about a two stroke.
Old 02 January 2009, 04:11   #4

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Engine: Yamaha F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteding View Post
Be careful about too much weight on the back of a RIB. My Avon Adventurer 5.6D's 115 Yami cratered at 8 years, perhaps because a long shaft on that leads to the oil pan being in the water a fair amount-exposing it to more corrosion than usual.

A 90 for a Searider is plenty, I'd think. We talked about this on NWDC, the Searider is a smaller boat than my Adventurer 5.6D.

If you want more punch to get on plane, think about a two stroke.
yeh it would be a two stroke, as for weight its the same motor between the 85-140 for the most part. Will just stick with a 90 but would like to have the extra power for hauling the loads.
Old 02 January 2009, 04:23   #5

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
HP recommendations do not have the force of law here in the States. That said a 90 is plenty and saves some weight. I would go with a a fuel injected 2 stroke, it will save you considerable fuel over a carbureated model and you save weight that way too.
Old 05 January 2009, 18:06   #6

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
115hp

i had a 5.4 sr years ago and had a 115hp merc straight six fitted really fast also used it for diving ,never had problems with the weight on the transom either,
Old 05 January 2009, 18:26   #7

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
HP recommendations have no weight in law here either. Where you come unstuck is when the insurance company will not pay out or an argument is used that overpowering contributed to the accident.
One of my friends has done the "hood" thing and personally I think he's nuts, why pay the insurance if when you need it they tell you to get stuffed?
Old 08 January 2009, 11:58   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I run two Ficht 115's and get a consumption of 12-14 gallons an hour in total, thats with an average of 6 divers and kit at about 4000 revs. If thats any help!