Old 20 December 2017, 12:26   #1

Town: Guildford
Length: 5m +
ETEC 250hp

Thinking about changing ribs, and have seen one I like a lot. Only thing that’s holding me back is that it has an ETEC 250 on the back. It’s 2009 and low hours with regular / recent service history, but have generally heard mixed reviews around reliability, noise, economy and resale vs a four stroke.

Any ETEC lovers out there who can help me make up my mind?
Old 20 December 2017, 16:04   #2

Resale might be a bit harder but then again it might not! ribs are more about the layout than what is on the back of them on the used market at the age in question, ofcourse it does play a part though. As it is a 2009 then by time you sell it I'm assuming it will be maybe 12 plus years old, at that point I think most modern outboards will be of similar value and will be all about condition, hours and service history.

A good place for etec info is https://www.etecownersgroup.com

I have never owned an etec and to answer you honestly, i would wouldnt be keen to buy a boat with one on the back either so i know your concern. I freely admit I do not have a good reason for not buying one so it is silly really. Perhaps I/we are foolish for that thinking but my loss is someone else's gain potentially.

What is the rib in question? Maybe someone may know of something similar to give you more options.

All in all though if the rib is what you want then I'm sure the engine will serve you well and you will quickly get over the outbound being a problem and turn the torque into a positive, worry about resale when it is time to sell it.
Old 20 December 2017, 17:41   #3

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGFR View Post
Any ETEC lovers out there who can help me make up my mind?
My Osprey Vipermax came with an ETEC 250 . The previous owner made it Round Ireland with this boat while I was on the same trip with a Searider 5.4 + ETEC 90 .
In 2013 after the Round Ireland I took over the Vipermax and made it Round Britain , Round Scotland and other long distance cruises .
Except 2 injectors I replaced still in 2013 I had no or just very minor issues . Have the software , the workshop handbook and some experience . I mention this because if are not hands on you need to have a good dealer who knows his stuff .
My fuel consumption was with appr 1.5l/Nm always very comparable with the boats with 250 (or similar) 4 strokes .
On top of course you need to count the oil consumption which was with my motor with XD100 around 1 :60 .
This motor just rocks - it screams - the boat jumps out of the water . Very responsive and fun to drive .
Last september I hit unfortunately something with the prop and the lower gear failed .
Instead paying 6000,-EUR for a replacement I traded in the G1 250 and have now a G2 250 H.O. at the stern !
For piece of mind during long distance cruises I have again the diagnostic software for the G2 withme .
I scratched on 52 knots while fuel consumption at cruising speed is significantly reduced in comparison to the G1 - which was already not too bad .
As for me personally - if I had to decide against the ETEC - the only alternative for me would be a diesel cabin RIB due to lower fuel consumption and accomodation on bord .
Can also highly recommend etecownersgroup !
Old 26 December 2017, 14:23   #4

Town: Guildford
Length: 5m +
Thanks Xk59D and Bushrider — very helpful insights.
Old 26 December 2017, 15:23   #5

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
As the previous co-owner of Black Hawk I endorse everything Jurgen has stated.On the round Ireland trip the Big E-tec didn't miss a beat,including towing a 7.5 m Scorpion for five miles in some very tricky waves. I now own a 7.2 ASIs with another 250 hp G1 E-tec great motor highly recommended