Old 15 December 2005, 18:39   #1

Town: Gateshead
Boat name: Black Wind
Make: Bombard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 200
Engine Warranty

Hi

I haven't phoned Honda yet but was wondering if anybody knows the answer to the following

We have a Honda engine that is due its first major service.
Are we required to have it serviced at a Honda dealer to keep the Warranty in tact or as with cars now You can have them serviced elsewhere as long as they use the Manufacturers replacement parts and are VAT registered
Old 16 December 2005, 01:39   #2

Town: Pwllheli
Length: no boat
I am unsure on that - to be safe I would phone your dealer and double check.

Better safe than Sorry
Old 16 December 2005, 10:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdog
Hi

I haven't phoned Honda yet but was wondering if anybody knows the answer to the following

We have a Honda engine that is due its first major service.
Are we required to have it serviced at a Honda dealer to keep the Warranty in tact or as with cars now You can have them serviced elsewhere as long as they use the Manufacturers replacement parts and are VAT registered
From a different perspective, I suppose as a prospective purchaser further down the road, I would expect to see a "Honda" stamp in the service record, and do "other" qualified service agents have the necessary software to access and re-set the CPU? (assuming it has one, that is)
Old 16 December 2005, 17:31   #4

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
From a different perspective, I suppose as a prospective purchaser further down the road, I would expect to see a "Honda" stamp in the service record, and do "other" qualified service agents have the necessary software to access and re-set the CPU? (assuming it has one, that is)
V Good Point. If I was looking at a secondhand engine that had not had it's first service done at a main agent I would not be that impressed. I wonder :
a) how much the engine cost new
b) how much you save not having it done by a main agent
c) how much it would influence a future secondhand buyer.

I remember a few years back I didn't buy a three year old mercedes '(from a merc garage) cause the first service wasn't done by a merc garage - seemed to me that the owner may had been a bit of a cheapskate and may have skrimped on other things (maybe wrongly)

I think this is really important on a marine engine where your life could depend on it a bit more than on a car engine.
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 19:29   #5

Town: Gateshead
Boat name: Black Wind
Make: Bombard
Engine: Honda 200
" QuoteI think this is really important on a marine engine where your life could depend on it a bit more than on a car engine."

so if your car engine breaks down in the fast lane on the motorway its not life threatening I THINK NOT

The Reason I posted is:

I have doubts that my main dealer is up to the job and the next nearest one I know of is nearly100 miles away
Old 22 December 2005, 22:11   #6

Hmmm, tricky. I presume you have some kind of evidence about the lack of competence. I would still be concerned that the first service was done at a Honda dealership for the reasons previously stated - as for the warranty, I reckon if you asked Honda they would almost definitely insist on a dealer service to maintain your warranty status.
Old 31 December 2005, 17:17   #7

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
I was told that the warranty on the Honda is two years makers warranty and
three years dealers warranty which is an underwrittern extented warrenty by a insurance company, I would think that if you dont have it main dealer serviced then when the two years is up they would have a get out on the second part of the warranty, just when you realy need it.
I know this is true with cars ie BMW 3 years.
As some one as already said would a non main dealer have the software to reset things etc.If you are not happy with your local Honda agent phone Honda UK and tell them.