Old 19 January 2008, 20:00   #21

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Cheers Bruce approx 4 kts will do for me . I know people say a bigger engine is better but on a small boat 5.5m there simply isn't room , and lifting any more on and off is a struggle .

I have heard some tohatsu's are prone to eating the odd coil but who knows . My gut feeling is although Tohatsu make engines for other more expensive manufacturers their own may be pared down a little somewhere so that they sell cheaper . ie although for instance the merc 3.3 is a tohatsu 3.5 is it assembled and finished by merc to a higher standard ??
Old 19 January 2008, 20:56   #22

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
is it assembled and finished by merc to a higher standard ??
I think mercury use better quality materials for some of the parts. At work we have about 20 4hp 4 stroke mariners, and 2 mercury 4hp 4 strokes. The mercury outboards outlived all the mariners fitted the same year. One eventually gave up in the autumn, when the transom bracket casting failed, and it went under (it wasn't worth getting it running again)

I have a 5hp tohatsu, with several hundred hours on it, its left on the boat, which is on the water all the time, I've never had any problems with it. Neglect and lack of use is the probably biggest killer of outboards
Old 19 January 2008, 22:37   #23

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I have a 60 2 stroke on my tornado 5m and it performs great with a light load and is just ok for 4 divers and the kit. When I replace the engine I will go for a 70 - 80hp probably 2 stroke. I think you will be disappointed with anything less than 60hp but might get away with 50hp.

Good hunting

Dave J
Old 20 January 2008, 09:03   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
[QUOTE) That doesn't sound good news , i thought it was a well respected motor .
It may be well respected but I found in the application of sticking it on a RIB transom it wasn't very reliable, but this was just my experience.

Quote:
Should use a proper marine grease to have all linkages working properly. A outboard must be started/used constantly.
I did, it was the alloy carb in particular that seemed to corrode rapidly which seized up all the linkages running through it, several times in the two years I had it from new.
The other thing you have to consider is fuel. I found it easier to have a FS aux as the testing and fuel on board was easier to fill up etc for regular testing.

I had a 60 Yam TS on a 5m hull, did about 24-26knts depending on load.
Old 20 January 2008, 09:43   #25

Boat name: Lady Gwendoline
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford Mermaid
Anyone got any comments good or bad on a 1988 Suzuki 65 hp 2 stroke? Is it the model after mine ('82) and was it an improvement?

Joe
Old 20 January 2008, 17:20   #26

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigj View Post
Anyone got any comments good or bad on a 1988 Suzuki 65 hp 2 stroke? Is it the model after mine ('82) and was it an improvement? Joe
The paint work wasn't a strong point on grey/gold Suzuki's (paint on there bikes at the time wasn't much better either) so they tended to corrode into a horrible fury mess if left in damp conditions. That engine is now 20 years old, if it runs and is in good condition it might be worth a punt but only if its cheap.

Given a choice I would much rather have this though:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F168162

and e bay your Suzi in the spring.

Pete
Old 20 January 2008, 18:18   #27

Saw that one whilst browsing. I'm quite new to outboards and got stung with the DT60 so I'm a bit wary of buying privately. The Suzuki I'm looking at is from a dealer and has a 6 month warranty for the same price as the Yamaha.
Old 20 January 2008, 18:43   #28

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
If its a Sea Fury, We had a Evinrude 90 Ficht on it. can't remember what perfomance was like, but went like something not right....
Old 21 January 2008, 09:29   #29

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
If its a Sea Fury, We had a Evinrude 90 Ficht on it. can't remember what perfomance was like, but went like something not right....
Think this one will be one of the medium V Ribs rather than a Seafury, which were good boats.

Bigj, have you seen this post, Paul may have a 60 hp 2 stoke Merc for sale

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22871

Nice little engines, rumoured to have been designed by Yamaha for Mercury when they first came into the county in 91/92 time. Used one for a trip round Scotland, just kept going flat out every day for a week without complaint. About 5 gallons an hour at flak speed and the oil tank is self contained in the engine to make a neat installation.

Pete
Old 21 January 2008, 09:46   #30

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The paint work wasn't a strong point on grey/gold Suzuki's (paint on there bikes at the time wasn't much better either) so they tended to corrode into a horrible fury mess if left in damp conditions. That engine is now 20 years old, if it runs and is in good condition it might be worth a punt but only if its cheap.

Given a choice I would much rather have this though:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F168162

and e bay your Suzi in the spring.

Pete
Thats the one i'm buying for my 5.3 Humber but I won't be able to test it until the 29th January. It's difficult being patient in the mean time. I hope 60 is enough.
Old 22 January 2008, 00:47   #31

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
"Quote" My gut feeling is although Tohatsu make engines for other more expensive manufacturers their own may be pared down a little somewhere so that they sell cheaper . ie although for instance the merc 3.3 is a tohatsu 3.5 is it assembled and finished by merc to a higher standard.

At present time this is not so, because Tohatsu makes not assembles engines for Mercury, Mariner & Nissan with same components and parts. It's known that many manufacturers have technical collaborations in between brands, that is, some Mercury/Mariner models are Tohatsu and Yamaha made, Suzuki/Johnson, etc, will depend on engine manufactured year.

Before representing Tohatsu, used to work with Mariner/Mercury, have personally seen shipping boxes with stickers saying "engine assembled in Japan" , that is with Japanese parts and components.

If compared Tohatsu is cheaper because it's the manufacturer, remember all engines are exported to USA and then reexported to other countries and the supposed engine manufacturer has a wider price range because of larger import costs, handling, brand name, etc.

Here is a letter from the manufacturer, does not specify from what year or how long have been working together.

To Aquadventures/Peru

Dear Luis Montero :

Smaller engines are manufactured by TMC, Tohatsu Marine Corporation which has been invested by Brunswick Corporation (Mercury Marine Corp) Tohatsu Corporation is actually producing core parts for bigger engines than 70 HP.

Tohatsu Corporation presently manufactures engines for Mercury//Mariner/in the range of: 2.5 to 50 HP in 2 strokes and from 2.5 to 30 HP in 4 strokes engines with their own colors and logos in our new plant at Komagane Factory in Japan.

Hope this information answers your questions and doubts.

Best regards,

Tohatsu Corporation
Sales Department Oversea Section
Old 30 January 2008, 09:05   #32

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Thats the one i'm buying for my 5.3 Humber but I won't be able to test it until the 29th January. It's difficult being patient in the mean time. I hope 60 is enough.
OK, I tested a 15" prop on the Yamaha 60 2/ with my 5.3 Humber Assault. The prop is too small because at 3/4 throttle I was at 34 kts (1 person 25l fuel) but it wouldn't go any faster at WOT. I'm going to try a 17" prop next week. Hopefully the top end and cruising speed will go up a bit.

In conclusion you could easily go lower than 60 hp but all depends on the conditions you use it in and how many people/equipement you're going to have onboard.
Old 01 February 2008, 21:35   #33

Update: Martin Yates Marine in Galgate have supplied and fitted a Suzuki DT65 to the RIB and a higher level of care and service I have yet to see, a real rarity in this day and age. I would recommend them if you're up in the North West. Now all I have to do is wait until this sea drops so I can get her in the water. Should be able to pull the Riverdance off the bank with that engine..... ;-)