Old 15 October 2007, 21:01   #1

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
E tec xd100 oil am I doing the right thing?

Spoke to my local Evinrude dealer today , He advised me to have my 90 Etec re set to use the XD100 oil . Mine is currently running on the standard oil .
I want to have it checked just to varify the hours etc but is the xd100 oil cheaper in the longrun and does it really run even better . Its booked in for wednesday ,

The dealer did say they had a few with warning lights coming on with cheaper oil on cold days , no problems but the cold thicker oil was setting off the warning light .

Thing is i am buying tcw3 oil at about £4.55 a litre but the XD100 is £39 for 4 litres from the dealer . Is that the normal price ?
Old 15 October 2007, 21:05   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I think you will find it uses less oil when running on XD100 if its not running on XD100 I think you should be running XD50 and not just any TCW3 oil you may want to check this.

Lee at Fairweather is a good source of info if you want to know more.

Chris
Old 15 October 2007, 21:11   #3

I haven't had to put any oil in it yet , but the dealer I bought it from said just use any tcw3 oil .
I just wondered if the local dealer advice was a way of getting me to buy expensive oil from him . With the etec service shedule the dealers can't see much revenue in servicing
Old 15 October 2007, 21:12   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Parkesy - given your unhealthy fascination in running costs, I hope you factored in this extra expense of oil, when you switched from 4-stroke
Old 15 October 2007, 21:17   #5

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Allot of the commercial guys are running the expensive oil on the cheap oil setting.

Jono
Old 15 October 2007, 21:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Parkesy - given your unhealthy fascination in running costs, I hope you factored in this extra expense of oil, when you switched from 4-stroke
Ha Ha yes it is the bit 2 stroke owners forget when they say they are as good a 4 strokes .
But yes i figured if it costs a couple of quid each trip then I can live with it .

Now why do you think I have an unhealthy facination for running costs ? i just like a toy I can afford to use when i want to
Old 15 October 2007, 21:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Allot of the commercial guys are running the expensive oil on the cheap oil setting.

Jono

Why ??
Old 15 October 2007, 21:20   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I haven't had to put any oil in it yet , but the dealer I bought it from said just use any tcw3 oil .
I just wondered if the local dealer advice was a way of getting me to buy expensive oil from him . With the etec service shedule the dealers can't see much revenue in servicing

When I looked at the 200 Etec the dealer said that it only needed to be serviced every three years but have it checked every year and the exposed nuts and bolts removed and re greased as they would never shift after three years
Old 15 October 2007, 21:22   #9

Engine Wear, Prolonging Life of the engine, apparently this way you can get double the life of the engine, now almost 50 hours

J
Old 15 October 2007, 21:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
the dealer said that it only needed to be serviced every three years
Our E Tec dealer is a great guy, he told me the same, I do about 100 hours per month so its servicing every 3 months not 3 years, so ill just stick to having a new rib every 3 months.

J
Old 15 October 2007, 21:26   #11

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
When I looked at the 200 Etec the dealer said that it only needed to be serviced every three years but have it checked every year and the exposed nuts and bolts removed and re greased as they would never shift after three years
And while they're at it, may as well drop the leg and change the impeller
Old 15 October 2007, 21:31   #12

Good idea , i shall remove my own nuts and re grease them . Currently struggling with very siezed motor lock on the transom bolt . its only a year old but won't move .
Old 15 October 2007, 21:50   #13

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
I'm running the XD100 in my 90 ETEC, programmed for the XD100. I don't think I'd have it any other way, and I read a lot of nonsense about ETECs... I've jsut started on my 2nd gallon. Taking the RIB into the dealer soon, it's been nearly a year, with afair amount of use, I'm curious about the hours on it, and want to have all the extra bits lubed by them as suggested for saltwater use. Going to run the self-winterizing bit in the next couple of days.
Old 15 October 2007, 21:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
I'm running the XD100 in my 90 ETEC, programmed for the XD100. I don't think I'd have it any other way, and I read a lot of nonsense about ETECs... I've jsut started on my 2nd gallon. Taking the RIB into the dealer soon, it's been nearly a year, with afair amount of use, I'm curious about the hours on it, and want to have all the extra bits lubed by them as suggested for saltwater use. Going to run the self-winterizing bit in the next couple of days.

that doesn't sound too bad if a gallon has lasted nearly season .

whats the self winterising bit all obout ,iam waiting for my owners manual to be posted to me hence the questions ,
I think there is a lot of scare stories on the net about anything new or a bit different , the tales of horror about My T5 van are pretty bad , but boils down to the few with problems making a lot of noise .
Old 16 October 2007, 07:33   #15

Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 HP E-Tec
Xd 100

We have an E-Tec 250hp and are using the XD 100 oil. In the beginning we used the XD 50 oil but switched for various reasons (spark-plugs last longer, need to take lesser oil with us when going on holidays, …) to the XD 100. Oils consumption dropped with more than 50%. On average I guess we use 1 litre of oil for every 110 litters of fuel.

So far we have 350 hours on the engine. First real maintenance was done at 280 hours. With XD 100 oil, spark plugs last much longer. We change them every 150 hours whereas with the XD 50 oil, we cleaned them at 75 hours and had to change them at 100 hours.

So is it worth changing? For us, yes!

rgs,

Paul
Old 16 October 2007, 17:01   #16

Thanks for all the replies here . Sounds like i have made the right decision and if oil usage is 100 to 1 or less then the cost really is quite insignificant.

Bloody 2 strokes
Old 17 October 2007, 02:29   #17

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
that doesn't sound too bad if a gallon has lasted nearly season .

whats the self winterising bit all obout ,iam waiting for my owners manual to be posted to me hence the questions ,
I think there is a lot of scare stories on the net about anything new or a bit different , the tales of horror about My T5 van are pretty bad , but boils down to the few with problems making a lot of noise .
There's a certain startup sequence to follow that will fog the engine by itself. Part of the "No Dealer Maintenance" bit. My ETEC has been absolutely bulletproof. I had one little bump in the road, but that was solely due to contaminated fuel. Changed the external fuel filter and it was back to normal. Many of the ETEC problems can be traced back to improper rigging and set-up, so if you're doing it yourself, be careful!

You used to be able to download a PDF of the owner's manual from somewhere on the BRP or Evinrude site site...
Old 17 October 2007, 18:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker View Post
There's a certain startup sequence to follow that will fog the engine by itself. Part of the "No Dealer Maintenance" bit. My ETEC has been absolutely bulletproof. I had one little bump in the road, but that was solely due to contaminated fuel. Changed the external fuel filter and it was back to normal. Many of the ETEC problems can be traced back to improper rigging and set-up, so if you're doing it yourself, be careful!

You used to be able to download a PDF of the owner's manual from somewhere on the BRP or Evinrude site site...

Its clever that winterising operation . The dealer had to do it today when i had the oil reset .
I was very imressed with the readout and history available on the computer . There is no way you could hide the anything in an engines history . If I was buying a used etec I would ask for a printout top be done ,well worth the 1/2 hrs labour .

I used Outboard services at Lostwithiel , its not often I feel total confidence in anyone working on any machine of mine but the guys there were spot on , they had time for me and let me watch the whole procedure . Recomended 100%