Click Here to Login

Old 08 December 2022, 15:01   #1

Town: Storrs Mansfield
Boat name: none yet
Make: Zodiac
Length: no boat
Engine: electric
E propulsion Spirit Plus vs Honda 5.0

My retirement gift will be an inflatable RIB! However as 66 year-old woman, I can't be lifting a heavy motor on and off of my boat, and am mainly am interested in slow exploring of coves and rivers and small lakes. I nearly decided on a Honda 5.0, which I imagine I would not lift on and off, but just leave on the boat all the time, tarped in winter, parked in my yard. However at a local marina I ran into someone with an E-Propulsion 1.0 Spirit Plus who raved about it and felt it would be suitable for my needs. Being able to lift if on and off in transit on the trailer is a plus. The price difference of about $600 does not worry me, only if the E-motor will be enough for what I want to do. I also worry if it's more susceptible to irreparable damage I accidentally hit a shallow spot as this is all very new to me, but quite exciting!
Old 08 December 2022, 17:41   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Your not realy comparing like for like, the epropulsion is equivalent to a 3hp which in real terms will probably more akin to a 2.5 4stroke petrol outboard which is roughly the same weight, costs significantly less and has almost unlimited range depending on fuel carried.
A used 2 stroke lightweight mariner or mercury/ tohatsu 3.5 will be lighter, run forever & rarely depreciate. Electric outboards & epropulsion in particular havent been around that long to know how they will fare long term they may last many years but if they are like other battery powered tools etc their lifespan may be relatively short in comparison to petrol outboards.
Only advantage of the electric outboard imho is the silent running but at roughly 1k more than an equivalent petrol, I'd stick with the petrol personally.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 08 December 2022, 17:51   #3

Town: Storrs Mansfield
Boat name: none yet
Make: Zodiac
Length: no boat
Engine: electric
All very good points, thank-you! A 3.5 is more reasonable, though I thought that anything under 5HP didn't have the ability to automatically refuel and then in a small boat trying to find room for extra gas was an issue.