Click Here to Login

Old 23 January 2006, 10:59   #1

Town: Solent
Boat name: Hammertime
Make: 6.3 RIB
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 Optimax
DFI oil for an Optimax - necessary???

After spending most of last Saturday trying to obtain some Quicksilver DFI oil for my Mercury 115 Optimax i was looking at the label on the normal Quicksilver 2-stoke oil which says it can be used on DFI and high performance engines. I was warned however when i purchased the engine that i should only use DFI oil and not normal 2-stroke oil due to the reduced mix quota and higher operating temperatures of an Optimax over a conventional two stroke.

Does anyone know if you can therefore use Quicksilver 2 stroke oil in an Optimax either just in an emergency (i.e. long term use may cause damage but short term use is fine) or full time.

I was also amazed that every chandlers and marine filling station i asked at looked at me like i was speaking Martian when i asked if they had any DFI oil. Even Alladins Cave where i obtained it in the end were unaware they stocked it and most chandlers did not even know what DFI meant?? I am aware that it used to say Optimax on the label instead of DFI but given the popularity of the Optimax i was quite unnerved.

Is there a holy grail where optimax owners purchase their DFI oil as clearly one cannot take the boat on a trip and expect fresh supplies to be readily available!
Old 23 January 2006, 11:18   #2

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
I always buy per 48 liters and pay around 27 euro's for 4 liters.
I always store arround 3 to 4 cans in the boat as I have founf the same problem as you have.
Only a few have this oil on stock.

I have asked two serious Mercurymechanics the same question as you did about using what oil and they realy reccomend the DFI oil especialy for Optimaxes.
Old 23 January 2006, 11:24   #3

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
some places still sell the "optimax" labled oil, ie ron hale marine nr portsmouth and pacer marine near Farnham, however the oil at pacer seems to be 7-8 quid more a large bottle!!! Ross charges arount 22 quid and Pacers nearer 30 quid
Old 23 January 2006, 11:34   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by archie720
I was warned however when i purchased the engine that i should only use DFI oil and not normal 2-stroke oil due to the reduced mix quota and higher operating temperatures of an Optimax over a conventional two stroke.

Does anyone know if you can therefore use Quicksilver 2 stroke oil in an Optimax either just in an emergency (i.e. long term use may cause damage but short term use is fine) or full time.
The heart of the Opti is the high pressure oil pump that's meant to be using the thinner oil. They cost about 800 kwid to replace and I'd bet they not honour the warranty if they found ordinary 2 stroke or tcw3 in the pump. (it's fairly easy to spot as it's a very different colour)

The Opti engine doesn't use an awful lot of oil and it is available just not where you looked on Saturday. I'll get some bottles into the unit for you by next weekend
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2006, 15:02   #5

Town: River Hamble
We will do the 4lt bottles of Optimax braded oil for £18inc vat if you buy two or more bottles when you mention Rib-net.
Old 23 January 2006, 15:09   #6

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop
We will do the 4lt bottles of Optimax braded oil for £18inc vat if you buy two or more bottles when you mention Rib-net.
is that the quicksilver optimax oil? if so i will call in when i am next in your area to see the shop, say hi and get some oilywoily
Old 23 January 2006, 15:13   #7

It is the Quicksilver Optimax oil. We also do the Rock Oil version that is just as good fro when the engine is out of warrantee. I know that the new EU law Bla bla bla but I personally I would not want the argument for the sake of saving a few quid on oil.

We are based in Eastlands Boat Yard, Coal Park Lane, just off Swanwick Lane. Between junction 8 & 9 off the M27
Old 24 January 2006, 14:44   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I decided to send an email to Mercury to see what they had to say on the matter!!! Straight from the horses mouth so to speak!!!

"The optimax is a particular engine that uses a direct injection and also an
electric oil pump to lubricate it.
Mercury dfi oil is the only oil specially designed for those new generation
two stroke engines.

The Optimax can run with a tcw3 + without problem but you won't get all the
benefit of the optimax technology, in terms of consumption and emission.
The spark plug will need to be checked more often; generally we allow using
this type of oil only in some countries where you can't find DFI oil.
Ask your local distributor regarding the warranty policy, he will inform
you in details"

In other words - of course TCW3 oils are suitable but we can't say so as we make a fortune out of guillable outboard owners!!!
Old 24 January 2006, 14:49   #9

Have to say I was involved with running 10 X 150hp opti’s all running on standard quicksilver TCW3 and the only problems that the oil caused was for the float senders to get stuck now and again.
Old 24 January 2006, 14:54   #10

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
I think Merc specify "premium plus" as an alternative to Opti if this is not available ...... not "std" premium.
Given the low useage and the price difference between the two, I have opted for the DFI oil ........... expensive engine and the gold stuff smells nicely disgusting
A commercial operator I spoke to in South Wales had been running premium plus for two years with no problems, but its mostly fast/ WOT trips around the bay ........... with a bit more trolling as I do I "believe" that the DFI oil helps prevent plug fouling ??
Whatever .... its the buyers choice I guess
Jeff
Old 24 January 2006, 14:59   #11

agree with that one
Old 27 January 2006, 23:45   #12

Town: brighton
And dont forget, Merc test run the engines on tcw3 (most likeley premium plus) at the factory!
Old 28 January 2006, 20:53   #13

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Engine: Volvo 28
Well according to my Optimax manual,

Mercury or Quicksilver Optimax/DFi 2-cycle engine oil is recommended for your engine. If Optimax/DFi engine oil is not available, we recommend using Mercury or Quicksilver TC-W3 Premium Plus 2-cycle oil,Severe engine damage may result from use of an inferior oil

As its only 18 months old,, will have a search down here, for someone who stocks the DFi oil ?? also someone mail orders the stuff ??

Regards TJ
Old 29 January 2006, 09:12   #14

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
The opti oil doesnt premix in a can of fuel, like tcw3 oil would, as it is injected therefore thats 1 good reason apart from warranty to stick with opti oil.
I remember a few years ago in Ireland a range of Aprilla two strokes came out and guys were told to use a specific oil, lots didnt and ran a cheaper oil, to the deteriment of their engines.
When you have so much investment in a motor, why comprimise it for a few quid, and run a cheaper oil.
Codprawn, can you post the email that you got from EP Barrus about the opti oil

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2006, 16:59   #15

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
The opti oil doesnt premix in a can of fuel, like tcw3 oil would, as it is injected therefore thats 1 good reason apart from warranty to stick with opti oil.
I remember a few years ago in Ireland a range of Aprilla two strokes came out and guys were told to use a specific oil, lots didnt and ran a cheaper oil, to the deteriment of their engines.
When you have so much investment in a motor, why comprimise it for a few quid, and run a cheaper oil.
Codprawn, can you post the email that you got from EP Barrus about the opti oil
I DID post it!!! And it was NOT from Barrus - it was from Mercury europe themsleves!!!
Old 29 January 2006, 18:19   #16
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I have had 2 Optis now.

The first one was still in warranty and was fed only the Optimax oil, the second was way out of warranty and is fed on Quicksilver Premium 2 stroke oil.

I have had no problems on the second, older engine. I would suggest it isn't worth the xtra cash once your warranty is gone.

Chris
Old 12 February 2006, 22:34   #17

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
As far as I'm aware, the premium plus oil is designed to burn totally, in the cylinders thereby allowing the engine to meet its emission targets. Other oils which are fine to use with an optimax(tcw-3) do not do this, but will run just as well. Its an engine for gods sake, it bugs me that the manufacturers make users feel humble to use their aftermarket products, How long has a fuel injected or 2 stroke engine existed for??