Old 21 July 2017, 16:04   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
DF20 First Service

I purchased my engine in October of last year and it was immediately laid up for about 5 months. Does this mean it's out of warranty because I missed the 3 month service deadline?

Also I've only just managed to put 20 hours on the engine and most of those were at low speed as my wife found her confidence at sea. The oil looks like new. Is there any leeway on the first service?
Old 21 July 2017, 16:10   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Dealers seem to be flexible on this and have reassured folks in similar situations that the initial service can be done at a year etc. How Suzuki would view that in case of a warranty claim I don't know.

I had the initial service at the dealer and now I'm servicing it myself... no interest in the warranty... I'll take it on the chin if something happens.
Old 21 July 2017, 16:16   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Should be ok. I purchased one in August 12 and had the first service done in Apr 13 with 20 hrs on the clock. The dealer combined the first 20 hr service with a 12 month/100 hr service and stamped the service record accordingly.
Old 21 July 2017, 18:01   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
So if I have the first service now, it will be ready for it's yearly after only 3 months. I might only get out one more time before then.

Is the warranty actually worth anything? Experience has taught me they are usually not worth the paper they are printed on.
Old 21 July 2017, 18:06   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The warranty might be worth a lot if something major failed... but I worked out that at £125-£150 yearly for servicing and the associated travel costs to get to a dealer I'd happily "self insure" and take the (small) risk.
Old 21 July 2017, 18:23   #6

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
So if I have the first service now, it will be ready for it's yearly after only 3 months. I might only get out one more time before then.

Is the warranty actually worth anything. Experience has taught me they are usually not worth the paper they are printed on.

Perhaps not clear in my previous response but I paid for one service at 7 months old. Dealer stamped service book to indicate first 20hr and 1 year/100hr services completed (for £125). Warranty therefore intact.
Who knows whether warranty worth anything, probably not, but why buy new then. Also sold mine at 3 years old for a good price and buyer has the comfort of 2 years peace of mind.