Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Biggles-Jardon, Jardon-Biggles, Jiggles- Bardon, Jargles-Biggon. Anyone ever seen them both at the same time?
?
Old 12 November 2007, 22:01   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Jargles-Biggon. rolleyes:
He was in a two Ronnies sketch I think
Old 13 November 2007, 09:24   #23

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Agree will Mollers.

Cruising is about covering lots of ground in a day at a good speed but for the best comfort and fuel ecco.

For a long trip 3-4k would be my choice, 3k will gives us about 20-25 knots depending on sea state and good fuel ecco too.

Of course if we want to raz it up a bit then 5.5-6k then we are looking at about 55knots!!!
Old 13 November 2007, 09:30   #24

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I ask because 5000 RPM on a car would be harsh.
But no worse for your car engine that your outboard!

Your car engine will hack that, but the big difference is that your car's powertrain is inextricably linked with the road by the tyres, you therefore need gears to get the ton or so of car moving, which in turn means you can gear it to run at a more economic RPM. If you could fit a variable pitch prop to your outboard / sterndrive, you'd be running a far higher pitch once you were on the plane than you'd need to get out the hole.......

Also can you imagine anyone wanting to sit in a car that is screaming it's bits off all day? (granted, it may be music to some) Most cars are designed to run quietly - the noise of an outboard could be a selling point, but how many of you are sayijg how nice & quiet your 4- strokes are? There are also lots of nice EEC rules to a) keep them quiet and b) not drink / emit too much.

How many outboards are based on "car" lumps?

Remember on a lot of motorbikes 6K rpm is not far off tickover!
Old 13 November 2007, 09:40   #25

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I think we have some boy racers around!
Cruising at anything near WOT is not cruising in my books, for me 2 to 2.5 RPM is a nice 20 to 25 knots fuel consumption around 7 to 10 GPH & you can have a chat with out shouting!
May be you should ask this question on boat mad!
Old 13 November 2007, 09:57   #26

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
3500 revs = 55 mph,lovely cruise speed if the conditions are ok. as for outboard engines that have derived from a car engine,that would be the honda 225
Old 13 November 2007, 23:37   #27

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I think we have some boy racers around!
Cruising at anything near WOT is not cruising in my books, for me 2 to 2.5 RPM is a nice 20 to 25 knots fuel consumption around 7 to 10 GPH & you can have a chat with out shouting!
May be you should ask this question on boat mad!
Thats the answer I was looking for.

Maybe its because we don't get out on our boats that much that when we do we want to really enjoy them. Thats when the red mist comes down and cruising is done at such a breakneck speed.

My ideal cruising speed seems to be between 26 - 28knots.
Old 14 November 2007, 00:23   #28

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
What defines cuising speed? Everybody's Ideas are different! Who really cares! If you where that concerned about fuel figures, get a Yacht or something.

My defintion of a cruising speed is an RPM where the engine can run quite happily all day long. 3000-4000rpm sems like a good range to be in. Quite frankly, if I where worried about my fuel costs, I wouldn't choose a RIB to race around in.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2007, 00:55   #29

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
If you didn't worry about the fuel cost I think you'd bin the RIB and get a Motorcruiser. All that plush space and somewhere to kip in whichever port you decide to stop.

Most people worry about fuel costs. Unless that is you only use it once in a blue moon ! Or only T Shirt days for our Devon boys. My they are hard.

At 5 pound a gallon and most boats using a gallon in 10 minutes or less then its certainly a consideration.

Especially if your out every week.

Their again you could always spend all day looking at your boat on dry land and appreciating its finer points. Then Engine size and sound might mean more than how much your paying for fuel. If fuel is that frivolous to you then the next time I meet you Andy mines a quadrouple whiskey with ice. And your a good buddy.

I also say this about my car. Its a thirsty beast. Not as bad as Jonos Range Rover but bad enough for me.

Quite frankly, if I where worried about my fuel costs, I wouldn't choose a RIB to race around in.

But many people run a thirsty boat and then try and save a few pennies on towing it with the smallest car they can get away with. Much as I love my boat the car comes first. Big boat needs big car. Yet more money. Obviously the vending business is thriving. Good job I don't have a vending card for my works machines.
Old 15 November 2007, 14:45   #30

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
The maximum I like for any short distance run for me is 4000rpm/30kt approx, much over that and the engine sounds a bit thrashy, ok for short distances but I don't really believe in thrashing engines near the redline even if outboards are "designed for it" - mine isn't getting any younger!

For a more relaxed or sustained trip I would generally use 3200-3500rpm which falls between 20 and 25 knots and would be happy that the engine would run at that speed with no worries for any length of time. I used to think that the fuel consumption increased dramatically over 20kt but I am not so sure now, because you are covering the ground that much quicker! Really need a fuel flow meter but too tight to buy one and not sure how/where to fit it...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote