Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 26 September 2003, 21:28   #1

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55hp yam
Cost of buying a diesel RIB v a petrol

Hi all, I posted a question a few weeks back regarding buying a diesel or petrol powered rib and received lots of very good advise, one more thing I would like to know, if buying 2nd hand how much more expensive would a diesel powered rib be compared to a similar petrol rib of say 6mts.

Nick.
Old 26 September 2003, 21:35   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
You won't find many 2nd hand 6m diesels. Too heavy. Mercruiser started marketing a 1.7 litre 120hp diesel about 12 months ago and this is probably the only suitable diesel for a 6 to 6.5m RIB. You might find the odd Volvo powered small RIB, but apart from that, Halmatic Pacific 22's at about 6.5m with Ford Mermaid 150-ish hp are more common.
Old 26 September 2003, 22:27   #3

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Andre is looking to sell his 6 Mtr Parker.... Might be worth asking him what he wants for it! It’s only a year or so old.

But since I have a 6m diesel, which I will want to sell one day, I would hope to get more for it than the equivalent petrol o/b. Most current larger second hand diesels seem dearer than their petrol equivalents.... So, yes Nick, do factor in the re-sale value when you do your calculations.

So many of the figures you see that supposedly prove there is no point in buying a diesel unless you plan to do a million miles a year seem to think you will throw the boat away when you've finished with it!

Mike C
Old 27 September 2003, 18:26   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Pacific's are great Boat, arguably the toughest hull made and you can pick them up from 8k to 15k depending on how much of a project they are. The certainly reward any effort you put into them, but you would be lucky to see 30 knots from them
Old 28 September 2003, 15:51   #5

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike C
Andre is looking to sell his 6 Mtr Parker.... Might be worth asking him what he wants for it! It’s only a year or so old.
OK so the true is out of the bag. Yes I am thinking of selling but only after the Weymouth cruise. A few parties have already shown interest but I will post details on RIBS FOR SALE after the cruise

Before anyone asks why I am selling the answer is " I have a new Parker rib on order for delivery early March 2004, the same size and diesel again but different console and seating configuration" -

Andre
Old 28 September 2003, 21:29   #6

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Engine: 55hp yam

Thanks all for your comments, but the main thing I was after is the price difference between two boats of similar spec, one diesel one petrol, how much more would the diesel cost to buy second hand, trying to build a picture for our dive club for our future new boat.

Nick.
Old 28 September 2003, 21:36   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Have a look at Ribcraft's web site - they used to publish prices for base boats, options and packages.

As for 2nd hand values - very difficult! No two boats are the same. Just expect diesel engined RIBs to to command a better 2nd hand value - if they are in a desirable configuration.
Old 29 September 2003, 07:27   #8

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Price Difference

Hi Nickjaxe,

IMHO from looking hard at the current second hand market I believe you could pay between £2.5 - £5.0K difference between Diesel & Petrol Engined boats.

As I understand it, this due to the original pricing, Diesel being more expensive in the first place.

As you are finding out there are very few sub 7.0m Diesel Ribs for sale, those that do come up are sold very quickly.

Bearing in mind that Pertol will rise by as much as 5 pence per gallon by the end of the month this makes diesels even more viable, plus will keep secondhand prices strong.

Happy hunting and please lets us know what you decide.

Regards