Old 17 October 2013, 21:11   #1

Town: Helensburgh
Boat name: Baby rib
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5 hp
Continuous audible alarm and rev counter problem

by section
(+) (-) Electrical - Starters- Rectifiers- IWiring Harness- Power Title and Trim Motors
Ignition - Switch Boxes- Tune Up Kits- Ignition Coils- Stators
Cooling - Water Pump Repair Kits- Impellers- Thermostats- Impeller Repair Kits
Fuel Parts - Carburetor Kits- Fuel Connectors- Fuel Pump Kits- Fuel Filters
Drive Parts - Lower Unit Seal Kits- Anodes- Drain Plugs- Thrust Washers
Internal Engine Parts - Head Gaskets- Inline Pistons- Powerhead Base Gasket- V6 Pistons
Product Search

Search all parts
Specific to this motor

Mercury Propeller
Mariner Propeller
Mercury Manual
Mariner Manual+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1 Thread: Continuous audible alarm LinkBack LinkBack URL About LinkBacks Bookmark & ShareDigg this Thread!Add Thread to del.icio.usTweet this threadShare on FacebookThread ToolsShow Printable VersionEmail this Page…Unsubscribe from this Thread Add a Poll to this Thread…Search Thread Advanced Search
Rate This ThreadCurrent Rating Excellent Good Average Bad Terrible Subscribe to our channel!
View our Pinterest!

Today, 03:30 PM #1 Don Mackay
View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message
[OP] Cadet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a pair of Mariner40ELPT 2-strokes, 1998 models, on the back of my rig. I have 2 niggly issues on the starboard engine
(1) an audible alarm in the control unit which comes on when you turn on the ignition key, and refuses to stop
(2) no reading on the cabin tacho / rev counter

First the audible alarm. So far as I know the engine has an overheating alarm and a low level alarm in the 2-stroke oil reservoir, and no others, am I right?. The alarm sound is at a lower sound pitch than the loud squawk I get when I trigger the overheating alarm and the alarm in the 2-stroke oil reservoir. Both of these alarms appear to be functioning ok, they operate just as they should when tested, yet I think somehow the annoying alarm is being triggered by one or the other, and my guess is the oil sender, but I could be wrong. Every push/pull connecter, earth etc has been checked over and over again, but without any impact on the alarm noise. The only thing I have not inspected yet is whatever it is in the control unit itself that makes the noise, but I will, just to see whether the problem lies there, but my instinct suggests otherwise. I have run the engine in a tank and it performs perfectly, but for that blasted alarm. Can anyone shed light on this problem.

Now the rev counter. The rev counter works fine, checked it by swopping over the feeds, ie connected starboard rev counter to port engine and it displayed port revs no problem. Just in case it was a fault in the regulator box (a tacho lead feeds in / out) I swopped over the regulators between engines, but no luck. Put a line tester on the tacho feed outside the regulator box TO the rev counter, and it is fine. So far as I can judge it the whole tacho wiring has been tested and no fault found, but yet rev counter does not want to play. There is obviously something I am missing, but what?I suspect there must be a rev sender somewhere on the top of the powerhead, but where, or am I wrong about that. If anyone can shed light I will be forever grateful

Thanks
Don
Old 18 October 2013, 09:06   #2

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Sounds like the loom between engine and control box. Either fractured wires shorting out or it has water inside.
Old 18 October 2013, 09:13   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Can you swap the control boxes over? I'm assuming there's a plug on the end of the harness that plugs into the control box. Swap them over & see if the buzz follows the box or the engine.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2013, 16:09   #4

Town: Helensburgh
Boat name: Baby rib
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5 hp
Constant buzzer alarm

Thanks guys, will try those useful tips over the weekend. The joy of having twins is that you can swop bits about and see what happens. Thanks. Don