Old 23 September 2012, 20:04   #1

Town: Cheltenham
Boat name: PHILO
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp outboard petrol
Connecting remote steering to 1986 Mercury 20hp

Hi all, I was hoping to tap into the knowledge of RIBnet members.

I have decided to convert my outboard from a tiller to remote and I have figured out everything other than how to connect the steering arm to the outboard.

I understand I need a bracket to attach to the outboard, which subsequently connects to the steering bar, however I am unable to locate anything suitable (unless I import from the US).

Does anyone know of an after-market solution to my problem. Whilst the outboard has a handle, it is not fixed, therefore I cannot attach a handle based bracket (if that makes sense).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ian
Old 23 September 2012, 20:50   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Why, what are you going to gain? There are many benefits to both tiller and having a helm type steering. In your case I would say the benefits of tiller outweigh the benefits of having a helm. Space would be my number one reason, with cost being the second largest reason.

People come on here all the the time asking the same question and often the reason is because they have only driven the tiller for less than a couple of hours. With a little more experience it becomes second nature.

A little research with google should answer your questions, unless someone has direct knowledge of that boat and engines parts list for doing the change over.
Old 24 September 2012, 09:18   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Ian,

Helm vs tiller arguments aside, I guess you want a remote helm for a reason, so.....

The steering bowden cable (big thick thing from the wheel) needs to be anchored to the hull or engine. An '86 Merc might not have the feature i'm about to describe, but if it does, stuff the end of the cable through the starboard end of the big hollow tube that the engine tilt pivots round. The big nut on the end of the cable sheath fits to the thread on the end of your tilt tube. If your tilt tube is a "simple hinge" and doesn't have a big hole / threaded end, you will need to buy a transom anchor for it & fix it on with suitable bolts just below the engine To put the anchor nut at approx the Stbd end of the clamps.

The "moving bit" of the cable should now be to the port side of your engine. Have a guddle under the engine at the centreline. You should find either a "tiller" with an approx 1/2" (10 or 12 mm) hole, or a couple of forward facing holes in a casting. This is what you connect the "drag link" to. If you have a single veritcal hole, bolt the connecting rod (AKA drag link) to it. If not, you'll need to source what is essentially a bent bit of thick plate that bolts int othe casting and gives you the hole I just described i nthe last sentence. Other end of the drag link goes into the hole in the end of the moving bit of the steering cable.

Any Merc dealer should be able to sell youa drag link. A wee trawl through / "wanted" ad in the Bits'n'pieces section here should find one.

If you need the bracket, plenty of the "used engine" delaers will have old ones going for a lot less than a new one, if you can even getg them new...

Then just fold the tiller up out the way & you can use it as emergency steering / throttle etc . Have a look at the "best wake shot" thread in the photos section - plenty of pivcs of engines on the transom to give yo ua better feel for it.
Old 24 September 2012, 15:39   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Home check out this online catalogue you should find everything you need in there,mount brackets for the top of the tubes control boxes & cables helms etc if you dont have a tilt tube they do a nifty plate that carries a tube to mount the steering cable to

i've driven these boats with a tiller & steering and it transforms them and makes them safer for watersports towing rings etc

if the link doesnt take you to the page i looked at try aquafax.co.uk
Old 24 September 2012, 19:48   #5

Town: Cheltenham
Boat name: PHILO
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp outboard petrol
Bent bit of thick plate is what I need

Thank you to all the responses. It looks like I need the above for it to work.

I appreciate that the change may appear nonsensical, however with the help of fleabay I am keeping the cost down. My friend bought a SIB with removable steering and it looks and rides great - if you can't beat them, then one must join them!

Thanks once again for the advice and if anyone knows where I can obtain the above, please let me know.

Thanks, Ian
Old 26 September 2012, 08:59   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Second hand try DA in Newport -on - tay. He has a heap of old Yammy bits, and it s not a big bit of metal so not going to be too expensive to post.

Lots of other places out there too - just google for them.
Old 26 September 2012, 15:15   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianplumpton View Post
My friend bought a SIB with removable steering and it looks and rides great - if you can't beat them, then one must join them!
Wait until one of your buddies buys a RIB Or a really nice caravan
Old 17 December 2012, 03:00   #8

Length: no boat
Having a remote steering for your boat depends on what kind of boat you use. Some boats are equipped with a helm placed toward the middle of the boat or farther forward. Other boats are operated by a tiller affixed to the motor positioned on the boat's transom. Depending on how the boat is used, one may be better than the other.

Plumbing Fittings
Old 17 December 2012, 13:29   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Ian, a photo of your engine will help. Sounds like you're already finding bits on ebay; you'll be able to find everything you need on there in the UK, but as has been mentioned, what you will need and how it fits together will depend on whether the engine has a tube to run the steering cable through. If it does, you'll need a drag link which connects the steering cable bar to the engine (and maybe a little bracket to connect the link to the front of the engine). If it doesn't have tube, you can buy a little bracket which bolts onto the transom which will secure the steering cable.