Click Here to Login

Old 26 April 2016, 20:19   #1

Town: Penascola, FL
Boat name: Sandpiper
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: None
Choosing an Outboard for my SIB

Hello everyone. I am looking for an outboard for my boat, but I'm a bit torn. I have a 1990 Rover R2-80 with a wood bottom and wood back. The maximum horsepower that the manufacturer recommends is 8 HP.

I really like the Tohatsu 6 HP 4 stroke outboard. I imagine that it would put my boat at a top speed of around 15 mph, it burns about .5 gallons an hour, and it only weighs 58 pounds. My concern is that I may have up to 3 or 4 adults on this boat at times, and I am not sure if the boat will plane with this motor with so many adults on it.

The 8 HP motor I think will probably give the boat a maximum speed of around 19 mph. I am pretty sure that the boat could still plane with 3 or 4 adults. However, the motor is significantly heavier and it takes .9 gallons per hour.

Overall, I think I like the idea of the 6 HP better, and I'm sure that 3 to 4 adults wouldn't be the norm, but there are certain areas that I like to go to and I would like to be able to get there relatively quickly. Any thoughts on my options?
Old 26 April 2016, 20:44   #2

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
I think you'll need 15hp to plane with 4 adults, 10hp "might" if they are all lightweights
Old 26 April 2016, 21:17   #3

Well, I won't have them on the boat that often so if the 8 HP cannot plane 3-4 adults, I might as well go with the 6 HP. Thanks!
Old 26 April 2016, 21:26   #4

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidClarkian View Post
Well, I won't have them on the boat that often so if the 8 HP cannot plane 3-4 adults, I might as well go with the 6 HP. Thanks!

I'm sure other people who own 6/8hp outboards will be able to give their opinions..... 👍
Old 26 April 2016, 21:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestig1973 View Post
I'm sure other people who own 6/8hp outboards will be able to give their opinions..... 👍
And I'll be glad to hear them!
Old 27 April 2016, 02:24   #6

Town: Point Blank,TX
Boat name: Just Blown
Make: Achilles 2 of them
Engine: Yam 8&15hp Nissan 15
I would try to find a Nissan or tohatsu 9.8hp 2stroke. The engine only weighs 57 pounds and your transom is probably rated for the heavier 4stroke 8hp so it will be fine. There is a guy on Craigslist here in Houston who has one for sale for 625 bucks. If you would like for me to check it out for you let me know. Here is his link. Tohatsu outboard 9.8
Old 27 April 2016, 22:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwozhog View Post
I would try to find a Nissan or tohatsu 9.8hp 2stroke. The engine only weighs 57 pounds and your transom is probably rated for the heavier 4stroke 8hp so it will be fine. There is a guy on Craigslist here in Houston who has one for sale for 625 bucks. If you would like for me to check it out for you let me know. Here is his link. Tohatsu outboard 9.8
I was only four years old in 1990, were four stroke motors commonplace back then? I thought that four strokes didn't become more prominent until the 2000s (although that is around the time I started actually paying attention to these things).