Old 15 September 2004, 19:25   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Choosing a 2nd hand outboard

I am potentially in the market for a second hand outboard in the 70-90hp (2 stroke) range, but am undecided as to what would be best. It will be for a 5m ish RIB.

Anyway. I understand most manufacturers have the same block for 70 and 90hp engines so to get a 90 will give me better power to weight but the engine will not last as long (higher revs). 70hp will also give me better fuel consumption.

I quite like the look of tohatsu outboards because I believe they are reliable, simple and cheap. Tohatsu use a 1 litre block for the 70hp and a 1.3litre block for the 90hp. Will having such a small capacity block in a 70 mean that the engine will struggle when under heavy load?

I'm not sure what I'm asking but any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated...as always.

Anyone know of a good dealer who has any second hand engines in this category in stock? Anyone on here have one for sale?

Also, I have seen several adverts etc for ex RNLI contract outboards but these only ever seem to be 40hp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Atlantic 21 (or whatever the replacement is) RIBs take a couple of 75hp engines? Surely these would be replaced as often as the smaller engines, so why aren't there any around?!

Cheers

Tim
Old 15 September 2004, 21:30   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Anyone know of a good dealer who has any second hand engines in this category in stock?
Keep your eyes on BHG (Bucklers Hard) or Lee Fairweather (Fareham) I've seen good value 2nd hand motors at both. I once bought 2nd hand from Andy Clark at "The Bosun's Mate" and that was a perfect engine.

Quote:
Also, I have seen several adverts etc for ex RNLI contract outboards but these only ever seem to be 40hp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Atlantic 21 (or whatever the replacement is) RIBs take a couple of 75hp engines? Surely these would be replaced as often as the smaller engines, so why aren't there any around?!
Replacement (currently) is the Atlantic 75, but rumours abound of a new version. I think that the 70's which power the ILBs are so seriously customised for RNLI use (waterproof one-way valves, etc, to give inversion proofing) that they are returned to Cowes for full overhaul. I guess that the 40hp units are standard?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlantic21s.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	8216  
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2004, 22:47   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I think that the 70's which power the ILBs are so seriously customised for RNLI use (waterproof one-way valves, etc, to give inversion proofing) that they are returned to Cowes for full overhaul.
True, when I picked my Evinrude 70 up from lee Fairweather we noticed that the original carbs and fly wheel had been refitted. the engine was over 2 years old but the refitted components hadn't been anywhere near water.

Excellent engine in its premix form (the oil injection is the weak link) and it pushed a ribtec 535 to 36 mph for 4 gals an hour. Lots of torque and well matched to the boat.

The big problem is finding good second hand engines as Lee seems to sell them very quickly

Pete
Old 15 September 2004, 22:57   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Thanks for the help guys.

Richard, that shot looks very much like Yarmouth Quay, am I right?

I may give the RNLI place in Cowes a call to see what they say.

Cheers

Tim
Old 16 September 2004, 06:24   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Richard, that shot looks very much like Yarmouth Quay, am I right?
You certainly are!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 06:54   #6

Town: Peak District
Boat name: Plastique
Make: PRO Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115 4st.
MMSI: 235015228
Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyDog
I had a wide choice of engines at Martin Yates (Lancaster), we ended up with an RNLI contract exchange 40, these have now all gone, so I'm told, and the new batch are 50 Hp, these will be available in a few months. Not sure what application but this was information this particular Mariner agent gave me. I imagine the forum member that works for Barrus may be able to shed light on this.

With the impending ban on Windermere I am sure there will be an abundance of engines (and boats) at the end of this season, perhaps many of the Northern based dealers would be worth contacting.