Old 13 November 2004, 09:09   #21

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
So me, being part of the UK......but not part of the EU could do this then?

Horrah for me!!

What? I've got no money left after saving for my new rib.......b*gger!!

I think I paid around £8500 for my 200HP Optimax.....but then we don't pay VAT over here.

Horrah for me again!!
Old 15 November 2004, 18:31   #22

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
One legality covering alot of goods that are bought in from outside the eu is CE type approval. On goods that require type approval, if they dont have the sticker, it is illegal to sell them new here. I dont know how this covers outboards, but some of the machinery that i sell at work is not CE so we have difficulty in selling it new legally. Even if you see it already for sale here with the CE approval sticker, it doesnt mean that the grey import is CE.

AS for breaking any other laws, i think realistically it would be a civil issue between the manufacturer and the seller only if you were selling them and calling yourself an authorised dealer. Remember that it may be cheap to import one for yourself at that price, and avoid the middleman, when you do it as a business and resell them with a sensible mark-up, it probably isnt a goldmine after all!
Old 15 November 2004, 23:47   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
In touch with the US

Welll I have just spoken to a guy at the main office in the US in Salt Lake City about as far from the sea as you can get!
He is kindly putting me in touch with some of the people he has supplied here in the UK .I will report back when I have spoken to them but in the meantime think about this
2003 Mercury 200 Optimax with 1yrs manufacturers warranty $7600 I'll just write that again $7600 !!!!!! even with import duty and VAT it has to be worth looking at . More to come on this one .
Old 16 November 2004, 19:27   #24

Length: 5m +
To go into the CE type approval,
I just checked the Johnson that I imported from the US and it has the CE number on it.
So there should be no problem on that side.
Old 17 November 2004, 17:34   #25

Town: Flensburg
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DT75 ?
some other thoughts to this....

I`ve read through this with growing interest. I`ve already imported some engines from overseas by myself but mostly good used ones. The savings are incredible sometimes, no matter how high they`re taxed- currently 4.2% over here in Germany.
Just one more thought on new motors: We all know the stories in this forum about some people being screwed with their new engines and having warranty claims going on all year round- but how many ribsters get their new engines, break`em in and have troublefree rides for years? We never get to know these numbers! So- how big is the risk of running into serious trouble with a new engine which`ll cost more to fix than the owner has already saved because of buying it overseas?
This is my perspective on doing this very often.... The prices on outboard motors are some of the few things that are artificially held high on absolut top levels- no ways of explanation why they must be that expensive, it`s simply a matter of a quiet settlement between the manufacturers and it works already for decades........ so my advice for anybody who`s considering buying in a foreign country is "go for it"!

greetings,
ribfreak
Old 17 November 2004, 23:24   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER
Welll I have just spoken to a guy at the main office in the US in Salt Lake City about as far from the sea as you can get!
He is kindly putting me in touch with some of the people he has supplied here in the UK .I will report back when I have spoken to them but in the meantime think about this
2003 Mercury 200 Optimax with 1yrs manufacturers warranty $7600 I'll just write that again $7600 !!!!!! even with import duty and VAT it has to be worth looking at . More to come on this one .
One thing some people KEEP forgetting is the exchange rate - at the moment the dollar is very weak - about $1.86 to the £ so yes the deals ARE amazing - not so long ago it was a very different story.

Remember the weak dollar only helps if you are buying stuff made in the USA - that is why computer bits etc are no cheaper in the states than they are in Europe.
Old 18 November 2004, 12:27   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Cheap engines

I have got a name of someone who has bought from this place will let you know what he thinks .