Old 17 April 2021, 07:39   #1

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Cheap Air Cooled Outboards 4 Stroke

With outboards being hard to get at the moment and the weight of most modern 4 stroke outboards I am increasingly wondering if these 'Weed Wacker' outboards on ebay for about £200 have a place. They seem very light (10-12 kg), are now 4 stroke so quieter. Don't seen too much fus, would fit on board as an aux and for tender use could be good.

I know many have condemned them in the past but these sort of things tend to improve over time. If I can get one easily as we are no longer in the EU I might buy one just to give it a try and report on here.... I will think about it.

What do others think

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...d&_sacat=56422
Old 17 April 2021, 07:55   #2

Well I decided to order one. I ordered this one. I was intrieged and for £179 I thought I would try it.

Might get charged Customs etc but if I do I think that will be £55 not sure though.

I will let you all know how I get on

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-stroke-...sAAOSwfqRe1cpw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wacker outboard.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	137009  
Old 17 April 2021, 09:13   #3
RIBnet Supporter

08:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
I might buy one just to give it a try and report on here.... I will think about it.
08:55
Quote:
Well I decided to order one. I ordered this one.
Quote:
What do others think
I think you have impulse control issues...

A lesser man would have quit trolling the forum by now!

Old 17 April 2021, 10:59   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
08:39
08:55

I think you have impulse control issues...

A lesser man would have quit trolling the forum by now!

[emoji38]
He's a professional! you think ribnet is the only site he trolls? [emoji1787][emoji1787]
Nonononono
Old 17 April 2021, 11:05   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
He's a professional! you think ribnet is the only site he trolls? [emoji1787][emoji1787]
Nonononono
Still, I'd love to be there the day he fires up that open exhaust lawnmower engine and trolls up the Deben....
Old 17 April 2021, 11:32   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Nonononono

He’s just white noise. Not even a minor irritation in the big scheme.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 16:42   #7

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
If he is a troll, he's a very poor imitation of one. Do you not think he may just be attention seeking, or even a bit lonely?
Old 17 April 2021, 17:25   #8

No none of those things I thought I would just try it and some people on here might be interested. But as usual the Chief Bully and all his little followers have to have a pop because they have little more in their lives to do
Old 17 April 2021, 17:28   #9

I just showed your posts to my wife and well done you have upset her quite badly. You can now be very proud of yourselves.
Old 17 April 2021, 18:40   #10

Quote:
I just showed your posts to my wife and well done you have upset her quite badly. You can now be very proud of yourselves.
There was no need for the unsolicited private message! an open reply is quite sufficient. You did ask the question "what do you think" which solicited replies which you clearly dont like however true they may be.
The phrase If you cant stand the heat comes to mind here.
Although you clearly love the heat of this kitchen after being banned then coming back with a thinly vailed alias
Old 17 April 2021, 22:17   #11

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
For the good of anyone about to make this purchase..

I considered something similar and figured I could engineer out any shortcomings. Though that's possible to a certain extent, it seems all is not as claimed and the real-life output is much less than the rated power and the reliability and build quality is vile. I'm glad I went for a nearly new Tohatsu and uprated the carb and prop to give me a cheap 5hp motor that weighs just 18kg.

I'm interested how you get on though. Here's two reviews among many that put me off:

In videos of them on the water, they seem to be really loud and feeble. Perhaps a small Parsun might be ok if someone doesn't want to buy a Tohatsu/(Mercury/Mariner), Honda or Suzuki secondhand?
Starting at £385 (2hp), the £880 6hp Parsun even has fuel injection I notice.

How are Hangkai and Parsun allowed to sell two strokes for non-commercial use?
Old 18 April 2021, 07:28   #12

Quote:
There was no need for the unsolicited private message! an open reply is quite sufficient. You did ask the question "what do you think" which solicited replies which you clearly dont like however true they may be.
The phrase If you cant stand the heat comes to mind here.
Although you clearly love the heat of this kitchen after being banned then coming back with a thinly vailed alias
Perhaps you would tell me where it says Private Messages have to be solicited.

Think about it if you had to ask to send a private message but you were in fact sending a Private message in asking how would that work.

Please tell me what it was about my buying this engine, testing it and then reporting on it here so that if it is crap others don't have to waste their money that seemed to annoy people like you so much. Is it perhaps Jealously or are you just trying to curry favour with the usual Bully's

Yesyesyesyesyes
Old 18 April 2021, 07:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
For the good of anyone about to make this purchase..

I considered something similar and figured I could engineer out any shortcomings. Though that's possible to a certain extent, it seems all is not as claimed and the real-life output is much less than the rated power and the reliability and build quality is vile. I'm glad I went for a nearly new Tohatsu and uprated the carb and prop to give me a cheap 5hp motor that weighs just 18kg.

I'm interested how you get on though. Here's two reviews among many that put me off:

In videos of them on the water, they seem to be really loud and feeble. Perhaps a small Parsun might be ok if someone doesn't want to buy a Tohatsu/(Mercury/Mariner), Honda or Suzuki secondhand?
Starting at £385 (2hp), the £880 6hp Parsun even has fuel injection I notice.

How are Hangkai and Parsun allowed to sell two strokes for non-commercial use?
Many thanks for your helpful post.

Much of what you say is correct and the motor I have bought may indeed turn out to be pants. I am fortunate that £175 is not that much money to us but might be to others and I thought that rather than just read reviews (not many about) I would try one. It is very light and if it is ok would be used as a motor to transport us 300 or so yards to our moored boat. If it has any power (which I doubt) it could also possibly be stored easily in a bag as a back up.

Either way I am happy to pay the £175 and share my views with others which might be helpful to others who can then make their own decision rather than perhaps waste their money as I might have done.
Old 18 April 2021, 08:02   #14

Quote:

Think about it if you had to ask to send a private message but you were in fact sending a Private message in asking how would that work.

Please tell me what it was about my buying this engine, testing it and then reporting on it here so that if it is crap others don't have to waste their money that seemed to annoy people like you so much. Is it perhaps Jealously or are you just trying to curry favour with the usual Bully's

Yesyesyesyesyes
I see no reason why you'd choose to pm me when you added some of your pm's content to the thread useless you hoped it would intimidate me somehow.
But please keep future interactions open for general viewing. I very much doubt you bought the engine hoping to save others money after you encouraged someone to send £1600 to a stranger in the hope he sent them something worthwhile. More likely you wanted attention that you clearly crave here & on other forums by saying things that clearly go against the usual experienced advice of others.
Anyone with a modicum of mechanical knowledge knows those modified strimmers will have the life expectancy of disposable barbecue.
Whilst you seem to think anyone who calls you out is a bully the fact is you are well known by the regulars here who know you are plainly trolling for attention.
I really dont think anyone here is jealous of you but many cringe at the thought of folk following your often poor advice
Old 18 April 2021, 08:07   #15

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:

Yesyesyesyesyes
i often wondered why folk called you a troll i just thought you were a little odd poss just boring and did wonder if in fact you were being singled out / bullied .but this post sums it up i suppose .you are goading folk into saying things against you then taking great delight in turning it into an argument . thanks i now see the light .
Old 18 April 2021, 08:34   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
i often wondered why folk called you a troll i just thought you were a little odd poss just boring and did wonder if in fact you were being singled out / bullied .but this post sums it up i suppose .you are goading folk into saying things against you then taking great delight in turning it into an argument . thanks i now see the light .
Well you are incorrect. I honestly bought this engine to test and report on here. and if any good to keep it. Then all the bullies jumped in. Look back you will see that is the case You were correct that people do tend to gang up and Bully me on here. You all know who the lead Bully is others seem to just want to curry his favour.

Think what you want I know why I made this original post.
Old 18 April 2021, 09:10   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Yesyesyesyesyes

If it walks like a duck....
Old 18 April 2021, 10:21   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

When I go blubbering to wifey because the big boys have been mean, she tells me it’s my own fault for winding them up & I should find someone my own age to play with.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 11:19   #19

Town: Devon
Make: Zodiac Cadet 340
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2t
RIBase
I suppose it's different experiences for each buyer. I must admit the first video he drones on a bit but that's the nature of YouTube video makers.

These guys have had success with the 6hp versions.

Old 18 April 2021, 12:42   #20

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I think a little bit of clarification is required.

The OP clearly states "cheap air cooled 4 stroke outboard", think petrol strimer or petrol chainsaw,. I'm not knocking it as there are some good strimmers and chainsaws out there, Sthil for one, not that I'm putting this in the same league as Sthil!

Those who are posting YouTube reviews, are posting reviews for "Hangkai 2 stroke water cooled outboards" again I'm not knocking it as I know nothing about them.

Both claim to be outboards, but they are very different. I think apples with apples springs to mind.

Tags
outboard