Old 07 April 2009, 17:19   #21
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
But do you think that could be the thrust washer stuck onto my old prop?

yes
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 15:39   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
That's again Jky. I've just thought, I know it's hard to tell by the out of focus photo. But do you think that could be the thrust washer stuck onto my old prop? The photos' show it as very dark but I remember it to be a brass colour to the back of the old prop. Maybe what I thought was one piece is in fact, as you say. The thrust washer stuck on?
Could very well be. I noticed the color after my post, but thought I'd let you figure it out.

Try prying it off with a screwdriver. It's probably just old hardened grease holding it in place.

If that is the case, it would explain your "prop too far in to tighten down" syndrome.

jky
Old 08 April 2009, 18:59   #23
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Could very well be. I noticed the color after my post, but thought I'd let you figure it out.

Try prying it off with a screwdriver. It's probably just old hardened grease holding it in place.

If that is the case, it would explain your "prop too far in to tighten down" syndrome.

jky
Yeah it came of with a small tap but has made little difference to the stainless prop spacing. Got a price for the bits I need, £40,
Old 09 April 2009, 15:06   #24

Did you pull that big rusty-looking spacer in pic #2 and move it over?

jky
Old 09 April 2009, 15:16   #25
JSP

Quote:
Did you pull that big rusty-looking spacer in pic #2 and move it over?

jky
It looks like it's attached to the splines? Don't want to knock the old prop about to much as I still need it.
Old 09 April 2009, 16:33   #26
JSP

The spacer on the back of the old prop is smooth and sits on the tapered base of the shaft. Could I then add the prop spacer out of this kit ?

Steel Developments quoted
Thrust washer £16.50
Nut end spacer £13.50
excluding VAT
Old 10 April 2009, 15:43   #27

Yes, that's the spacer you need.

Thrust washer, prop, splined spacer, flat washer, prop nut, cotter pin (or split pin, since it magically changes as it flies across the Atlantic.)

Again, make sure you grease everything up to prevent salt from hardening in there and locking everything up.

Torque for the prop nut is 55Nm (40.6 ft-lbs; 5.61 kgf-m)

Sometimes helps to crank on the nut to seat everything, then back it off and torque it. Although since you have to line up the holes for the split pin, that may be unnecessary.

jky
Old 10 April 2009, 16:03   #28

Quote:
The spacer on the back of the old prop is smooth and sits on the tapered base of the shaft.
Wait, what?

The taper should be well inside the exhaust nacelle, just in front of where the prop sits (the "front" being towards the bow of the boat. For reference, the prop nut is at the back.) The thrust washer rides on that front taper.

Or are you talking about the section that is the diameter of the threads, before the splines start? (Basically, the section between the threads and splines.)

If the latter, whether you could use it or not depends on how far forward the prop sits: if the prop covers the splines, yes; if there are splines exposed, then you need the splined spacer in your kit.

Quote:
Steel Developments quoted
Thrust washer £16.50
Nut end spacer £13.50
excluding VAT
Hmmm. Sounds a bit pricey, but not if it's the only game in town. An aftermarket kit here in the US (comprising of a flat washer, a splined spacer, a nut and a cotter pin) runs between $20-30US. From Yamaha, you're talking $45.

The thrust washer is a bit more of a specialty item, as you tend not to lose those too often. From Yamaha, they run about $45. Resellers ask less than $20.

jky
Old 11 April 2009, 20:23   #29
JSP

Quote:
Wait, what?

The taper should be well inside the exhaust nacelle, just in front of where the prop sits (the "front" being towards the bow of the boat. For reference, the prop nut is at the back.) The thrust washer rides on that front taper.

Or are you talking about the section that is the diameter of the threads, before the splines start? (Basically, the section between the threads and splines.)

If the latter, whether you could use it or not depends on how far forward the prop sits: if the prop covers the splines, yes; if there are splines exposed, then you need the splined spacer in your kit.

Hmmm. Sounds a bit pricey, but not if it's the only game in town. An aftermarket kit here in the US (comprising of a flat washer, a splined spacer, a nut and a cotter pin) runs between $20-30US. From Yamaha, you're talking $45.

The thrust washer is a bit more of a specialty item, as you tend not to lose those too often. From Yamaha, they run about $45. Resellers ask less than $20.

jky
JKY,
I'll get some photo's uploaded to explain myself better. And thanks again for all your help

« Yamaha 8A | Top | Ttop »