Old 24 August 2009, 02:51   #1

Town: Tauranga
Boat name: Extra Pleasure
Make: Atomix
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 60HP 2Strke
Caring for an Outboard

Hey all,

Just got myself a RIB (finally, after years of dreaming)...!

When I was looking, one chap talked about how excellently he looked after his... after every trip (in the sea), he would take off the outboard cover, and spray everything in there (electronics n all) with WD40 - to remove the moisture and clean out any salt deposits...

Is this recommended? I'm torn between keeping everything looking shiny, and setting fire to the engine or covering it in oil!!!

Other RIB owners I've spoken to will simply flush thru fresh water for a minute. Some, 5 minutes!

Some use Salt Away solution everytime. Every 2nd time. Every 4th time. Everyone does it differently!

So, I think my question is --- what do you do to your Outboard after a trip in salt sea?!

Much appreciated,

Rob

(60HP 2 Stroke)
Old 24 August 2009, 12:14   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Where possible I flush the Engine after every use in Salt water, the only time I don't is when I know I'll be using it agan within a few days, such as when I'm away on holiday and using it every day or every other day.
I also wash the outsde of the engine off with the hose.

Under the hood I'll have a quick check each time to make sure all looks well, and a couple of times a year it'll all get a wipe over with an oily rag or a spray with a corrosion blocker.

I don't however have a latest generation mega money outboard that needs to be kept looking good as well as mechaniclly sound.

Nasher
Old 24 August 2009, 12:38   #3

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
just finished cleaning mine from yesterday though i remove it and take it home,normally flush through for 5 mins in the clubs tank and wash it all over with a hose ,or run it at home in a bin ,let the fuel run out ,then leave it for an hour or so and go around with a quick squirt of wd40 in the nook crannys and around the electrics ,then i might give the grease nipples a squirt and finish off wiping grease on the thumbscrews, then i store it upright with the lid loose ,,,,i bought 2 yamaha 9.5s new in 1976, kept them both until 2 years ago both looked like new even though i did everything the same with both engines one seemed to deterorate faster than the other with certain things corrosion in places ect,,,,remember not to get oil /grease on any sac- anodes ......wife says pity the car ,garden and cooker doesent have outboard writen on it ,
Old 24 August 2009, 18:07   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
With the Etec, If I have been using it in salt water, I actually take the cover off then use a low pressure hose to wash down the engine. just avoid spraying water in and around the air intake.

You can also get a number of anti corrosion sprays to spray all over the engine block.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 21:46   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
After a day at sea, I normally flush through with fresh water. Around 15-20 minutes (until the engine reaches operating temperature) is fine, as the thermostat will open. After flushing - it's worth extracting the spark-plugs and cleaning the gaps. 2-strokes don't particularly like idling, so as much as a fresh-water rinse is beneficial, the downside is that the plugs can become fouled. It's only really an issue when you start the engine the next time you take it out.

Clean the engine exterior using a quality car-shampoo with the engine hood/cowl on and thoroughly rinse it. If you wish you can perform some periodic maintenance and use a grease-gun on the nipples, but I'd tend to do this when I lay it up for the winter.

Spraying WD40 on the inside of the engine won't do it any harm. The drain holes around the engine tray should be clear. Personally I'd only do this when winterising the engine. If you plan to service the engine yourself, then a lot of this will become second-nature. Good luck.
Old 24 August 2009, 22:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I normally flush through with fresh water. Around 15-20 minutes (until the engine reaches operating temperature)
Wow, that's quite different to everyone else I've spoken to / see flushing outboards. I've heard between 1 and 5 mins... not 15 to 20... I'd flood my driveway ha!
Old 25 August 2009, 15:21   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I have 3 engines - a 2.5 , a 50 & a 200 . I am lucky in that they get a good 10-15 mins in fresh water up the river to the mooring/ slip , I then turn them off , wipe the cover off and walk away till next time !

Every few weeks I take the hood off and look to see if anything is not how I think it should be ( not found anything yet !)

Works for me ! ( probably explode now ! )
Old 25 August 2009, 19:45   #8

handy spot for a slip....
Old 25 August 2009, 19:49   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Of course its good practise to flush and rinse down your boat and engine at the end of a run but remember a lot of engines don't get this. I had a boat that spent just under three years living in a marina. The boat was used regularly and I never bothered flushing it (very difficult on a pontoon!). I always washed the boat with fresh water after a run but other than that nothing else. Engine didn't suffer with any salt related problems.
Old 25 August 2009, 21:04   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbathgate View Post
Wow, that's quite different to everyone else I've spoken to / see flushing outboards. I've heard between 1 and 5 mins... not 15 to 20... I'd flood my driveway ha!
That's the time I give it - however it's only becuase I'm doing other things such as cleaning the boat, coiling ropes, storing the fuel tanks, etc. If you're a quick worker - then cut it down to 10 minutes!